Just passed another MOT

My wee blue Felicia just sailed through another MOT this morning. After 13 years and 204,000 miles, I still haven't managed to wear it out!

She's still on the original engine, gearbox, shock absorbers, brake pipes and wheel bearings.

It just goes to prove that they really don't make them like that anymore.

• Like 3

I doubt very much the car is using original shock absorbers after so many miles .

unless you stopped before every little bump and crack in the road then took it in your arms on the other side.

• 4 weeks later...

And another one. Advisory on one rear tyre and needed part of the exhaust re-sealed. Oh and the headlight protectors that have been on there as long as I've had the car were noted in the advisories as "product on the headlight lens but not seriously reducing light output".

Hope to get the service done now and lavish some care on the old crate. She's been badly treated lately - off the road for a few months and then brought out just in time for the winter. No way to treat a car of such advanced years. Still, Spring's on the way. :happy:

Well done! It's always good to hear of another one making it through. Felicias are getting quite few and far between out here (I might see 1, maybe 2, others in a week). I always see more of them on my trips to mainland.

With a bit of TLC, they'll outlive most of the other stuff on the roads.

Congratulations on the pass, and the mammoth mileage! I wasn't so lucky as mine recently failed the Irish NCT 'national car test' for the first time in my 7 years ownership. Only on corroded rear brake pipes though.

Annoyingly, ex-mechanic friend had a look and reckons they're not bad enough to fail; I then took it to a mechanic to assess the job and get a quote; he also reckons that he would not have failed the car. Aarrrrgh!!

It's horrble when the car fails on something so simple. A bit of grease on the brake pipes seems to keep the corrosion at bay and the MOT man happy. I wasn't sure that mine would pass this year, but I got them cleaned up with sandpaper and then greased them - she went through no bother.

Yeah, it's really annoying. Job's done now and the retest is 3rd April. I didn't think of crawling under the car to tidy things up, did loads of other stuff though, everything from air filter and valve clearances to new front strut top mounts. The only thing I thought it would fail on was the middle silencer (which sounds like a low flying Cessna), but they seemed happy with that!

funny you mention silencers, the entire exhaust system on my fun is totally shot, but you'd be amazed how cheaply you can pick them up off ebay, one vendor i found will send it for £60 including shipping for both boxes and includes all the rubbers and gaskets etc, and the cat was £75 extra.. at that price it doesnt matter if it's rubbish and falls apart every year, you just bin it and stick a new one on