buying advice 1.9 TDI (54 plate)

crz206

Hello,

I'm thinking of going to look at a Fabia 1.9 TDI elegance that's come up for sale near me. It looks to be in really good nick but has clocked up 137k.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice generally or things I should look out for (I reckon I will go and view it - at the moment I've only ever seen it parked on the street).

Any thoughts gratefully received. Thanks :-)

137k is nothing for the diesels if it has been taken care of; as proven by the recent sale of my Comfort TDI. Ask to see paperwork on work done to the car, at that mileage you will need at least 1 cambelt + water pump change and in an ideal world, 2. Have a good look round the car, in the engine bay. Ask questions about anything the owner has done. Check biting points of all gears and make sure they engage nicely, and give it a little rev to listen out for the turbo. (YouTube turbo failure and "police siren" turbo failure to hear what would indicate a knackered turbo).

As an insight: bought mine in April last year from South Shields for 800. Done 13,000 since and upgraded nearly all the moving parts ourselves (to OEM standard). Everything now perfect, at 148k, sold for 1,200 within an hour of it being on the bay of e. Dealer offered us 400 in p/x!!

Great little car, I'll be really sorry to see it go on Sunday. If you go for it, I guarantee you'll love it.

Thanks very much for that. Didn't end up viewing it, but think I will next week if its still available. I need to hear the outcome of my current cars MOT tomorrow.

The as for the car mentioned a recent can belt change and brakes. Guess I would just have to see what other work had been done. Im just a bit put off at the thought of imminent major bills... Also I don't drive many miles so I'm nit sure a nig diesel is a wise choice? It's up for £1500, which I think is a little on the high side.

Hmm, we'll see...