Universal back box

r8Dec

Hi. I have bought a universal back box (marmite I know) a new cat and centre pipe. The exhaust was an advisory on its recent MOT so decided to buy the parts and get a mechanic friend to fit it. However he attempted it today and failed because he said the box ive bought doesnt fit. He was aware that some more tubing was required to link upto the centre pipe as the new box is almost half the size.

He said that the new box wont fit in the space behind the bumper where the original tail pipes run.

I have noticed a couple of other members that appear to have there box sitting behind the bumper having a short tailpipe through the existing cut out, how have they achieved this??

Heres the link to the box I bought...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=160854865255

Thanks for reading and any advice given.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have a friend whos backbox sits close behind bumper and in my opinion think it looks better, would be interesting to read any advice you get because I have also looked at the same backbox on ebay and thought it cant be to hard to fit??? (due to lack of funds for miltek or custom made exhaust)

I have a friend whos backbox sits close behind bumper and in my opinion think it looks better, would be interesting to read any advice you get because I have also looked at the same backbox on ebay and thought it cant be to hard to fit??? (due to lack of funds for miltek or custom made exhaust)

Well am guna have a look on sunday weather permitting. Pull original box off the hanger, slot uni box in and see what space I have. The only thing i think is it might sit lower having no recess to sit in therefore becoming a speed bump hazard??

You can make anything fit if you have patience , tools, mateials and possibly more money (if you can't do it yourself).

However i think you will be hard pushed to get that universal box to fit right. It is far to short and you will have to extend the length and then possibly you will have to create a bend to allow the box to sit up in the correct position from the bumper.

I would prefer to get the parts that are meant for the car as experience told me far to much hassle messing about to make fit.

But good luck buddy and hope it works out..

You can make anything fit if you have patience , tools, mateials and possibly more money (if you can't do it yourself).However i think you will be hard pushed to get that universal box to fit right. It is far to short and you will have to extend the length and then possibly you will have to create a bend to allow the box to sit up in the correct position from the bumper. I would prefer to get the parts that are meant for the car as experience told me far to much hassle messing about to make fit. But good luck buddy and hope it works out..

I did notice that the tail pipes bend slightly to the side coming from the box, this what you mean or do you mean to add a bend upwards to took it into the body?

Im planning on using the over axel pipe off the original box and extending that to meet up with the uni box. Sounds so simple in my head what I plan to do thats why im unsure why my mechanic says it cant be done.

A little update ive dropped original box off hanger and held new box in place, it fits behind the bumper however the tail pipe falls a little short. It sits flush if not a little behind the bumper slot but I think it looks good because the exhaust slopes to match the bumper shape.

I would of got a pic but didnt have anything to hand at the time to hold it in place. My only thought is where its placed to suit will require some hangers or something to support the weight and hold it when fitted.(only came with the usual strap on hanger)

I think its something I may not be able to tackle so going to contact exhaust uk or similar to fit the entire system i have bought but hope they dont quote silly!!

i think that you may not get what you are expecting on this buddy. There is far too much messing to get it to fit. It is too short, will not sit where it should without loads of extra pipe work. The bends from centre section over rear beam need to be pretty accurate to make sure the exhaust sits correctly without either hitting the rear beam or hitting the floor pan, and also have the rear box aligned to sit through the bumper correctly. 

Even most exhaust companies don't like fitting a none std exhaust and may charge a lorry load to get it to fit properly.

It is certainly a lot for a DIY job as you would need extra pipework, a combination of various hangers and clamps and even a welder  

sorry if this sounds negative but I been there before and got the t shirt ....

i think that you may not get what you are expecting on this buddy. There is far too much messing to get it to fit. It is too short, will not sit where it should without loads of extra pipe work. The bends from centre section over rear beam need to be pretty accurate to make sure the exhaust sits correctly without either hitting the rear beam or hitting the floor pan, and also have the rear box aligned to sit through the bumper correctly.

Even most exhaust companies don't like fitting a none std exhaust and may charge a lorry load to get it to fit properly.

It is certainly a lot for a DIY job as you would need extra pipework, a combination of various hangers and clamps and even a welder

sorry if this sounds negative but I been there before and got the t shirt ....

Okay dokay thanks for your advice mate. Im guna ring a couple of companies 1st see what they quote because if they can get it where I like it then its all gd, if not I'll have to declare defeat. They should be able to quote the editional hangers, welding, pipework and scuffed knuckles before so ill see what they say :).

Right, me partner has told me to give up with the uni box. Its now booked in for wednesday to have a stainless steel box fitted and also my cat and center pipe too. She'd rather it done properly than something I may never be happy with.

Thanks for the advice guys and I will get some pics up once ive got car back.

Right, me partner has told me to give up with the uni box. Its now booked in for wednesday to have a stainless steel box fitted and also my cat and center pipe too. She'd rather it done properly than something I may never be happy with.

Thanks for the advice guys and I will get some pics up once ive got car back.

I think you just saved yourself a big headache buddy :rock:

makes much better sense and you know you won't have problems later on.