Does your EML come on when your boost pipe blows off?

For those of you who have had your pipe come off, did your engine management light come on?

Turbo totally cut out going up a hill earlier and the EML came on. The top pipe was still secure but couldn't get underneath to check the bottom half, so I'll have to do it in the morning. 

Hoping it is just a loose pipe and nothing more serious! Won't sleep much tonight lol 

Well boost pipe = bang amd then it sounds allot louder. But can easily heat turbo going.

Fingers crossed for you mate. The fact you driven home means its probs a pipe

Cheers. There was a bang and then total silence, no whirring or howling from the turbo at all. The engine still ran fine, albeit with no power. 

Will be out shortly to check it over. Fingers crossed

I've had a pipe blow off and a blown turbo - the engine management light didn't come on either time.  When the pipe went there was an audible 'pop' then no power and a big cloud of black smoke from the exhaust (we're talking smoke screen), when the turbo went there was no 'pop' but the same loss of power and smoke.  I limped it home (about 5 miles) when the turbo blew - fortunately with no damage to anything other than turbo, when the pipe went I cable tied it all back together and that got me home with boost.  Good luck!

If it's turbo or pipe that's gone you'll have no grunt whatsoever, fuel economy drops through the floor and the biggest tell tale is the thick black smoke screen you lay as you crawl along.  If your car isn't belching smoke hideously it may be something other than turbo or pipe.  In both instances I've had of turbo / pipe issues the EML light hasn't come on - I'd get yours onto a code reader and see if that throws up anything obvious.

• 3 weeks later...