Updating maps for Amundsen+

Unit is labelled "Amundsen+", in a Yeti SE+ first registered July 2012.

I have found instructions at http://new.skoda-auto.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/download/maps-update/en/amundsen.pdf which refer to two SD card slots; it sounds as though one contains the maps on a detachable card. Mine has only a single slot, so the map data is evidently stored internally.

The Skoda website sends one to http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light&&Page=Skoda-Landing-Page-MIB-Amundsen&&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site& to download new map data. I  downloaded the five small files, and the recommended 7-zip decompressor; it decompressed the first of the five files, but it does not recognise the other four, saying "Can not open file ... as archive".

I then downloaded the large single file, and 7-zip appeared to decompress it; but the result was 7,039 files totalling 5.69GB, exactly the same as the result of decompressing the first of the five small files.

Questions:

1. Has anyone done this successfully?

2. Any ideas why 7-zip won't recognise the downloaded small files 2 to 5?

3. Any ideas why decompressing the large file produces no more output that decompressing small file 1?

4. How big an SD card is required? Since the compressed files are nearly 5 Gb, I guess that at least a 32Gb card is needed

5. Does it have to be any special type of SD card? The Skoda website says that "your MIB Amundsen navigation system only accepts SKODA Auto's approved SD cards", but that seems to be referring to the permanently-installed data card on a 2-slot system.

6. On a one-slot system, is there any way to copy the built-in data out onto a card to keep as a backup?

Unrelated  question  about the forum - what are Topic Tags?

Regards, jcdeas

The map data on the navigation.com website is for the Amundsen system fitted in the new octavia MK3 only, there has been some confusion in other threads across various forums. Both units share the name only, they are completely different and map data is not interchangeable. 

• Like 1