diesei in oil sump. help!

Hi folks I have a 2007 superb 1.9 tdi BSV engine. A few days ago it sounded very loud so checked the oil level thinking it was low. Got a shock to see the oil was nearly 2 inchs above the full mark so drained off oil till it was at the correct level. I got 2.2 litres out of it and thought my mechanic had over filled it.checked it 2 hours later and then before midnight and again in the morning and it was at the right level.then did about 100 km and parked it for 3 hours,did,nt check it and drove back home again. I checked it after 20 mins and it was way back up the dipstick again at this stage I could smell diesel from the oil.then rang the guy who fitted the engine 2 months ago and he told me to bring it back. I changed the oil today and drove about 90 km to him and the level was ok. He swapped tHe injectors for 4 other one's from my old engine thinking that was the problem.I drove home checked the level and its way back up again.the mechanic has,nt a clue what's the problem and said he has to make a few calls to see if he can get more info.from the day he put the engine in it has had problems starting and it has been running very erraticaly. He changed the glowplugs 2 weeks ago and it made no improvment on the starting problem . Any ideas guys? Going mad here.thanks in advance.

Damaged injector O-rings?  Injector washers fitted too thick and washing the bores? I am not an expert on the 1.9, but could a dodgy tandem pump also pull fuel through?

I think you may just have hit the nail on the head. Just read up on the tandem pump and it said it controls the brake vacum also. I did,nt put it in the above post but my brakes went hard at the same time and are still the same. Fair play to you for that suggestion. Next question where on the engine is that pump and how much is it to replace? Big thanks again.

I drained four litres out of my sons sump just to get it to the correct level and the regen unit was empty, oil pump knackered and my noise was a broken turbo complete with red warning light.

So keep checking foe every thing and hope it is not all of the above.

Good luck.

Edited by Danny 57

Tandem pump is driven off the camshaft.  Don't forget the tandem pump bearing is lubricated by engine oil, so if a seal is knackered you could have a range of problems including oil or diesel in the vacuum circuit (hard brakes!), diesel in the oil circuit (sump level going up)….  I do not have any specific info from personal experience on the 1.9, but on the 2.5 the vacuum pump can pull in water from the brake servo if it gets submerged in rain water due to blocked plenum drains and can then push water into the engine oil… so guess what I did first when my brakes went hard… drained water from the plenum and changed the oil and filter...

I know your problem is different, but just pointing out that the tandem pump could possibly give you related issues, so definitely worth checking out.

Thanks for the reply,s so far guys.the mechanic is going to take a look at tandem/ vacum pump 2 moro and I will update any findings.sounds like my problem because I have had bad/rough idle, map fault code ,hard brakes,diesel in oil sump and bad starting even after changing glow plugs. So once again thanks again guys.

@oh_superb.you where spot on. He took the tandem pump off and he said it was damaged. New one going in today and collecting the car 2 moro. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Have the car back a couple of weeks now and nothing but trouble with it since.still had a bad smell of diesel in the cab so he put a new gasket between the pump and engine. Then a few days later it started leaking from the gasket at the back of the pump. The car is also puffing out thick black smoke. Went to a diffenent guy he said it was intercooler. So put in a new 1 and still the same.its loosing power as the smoke gets bad and idles realy badly . Any ideas??

• 9 months later...