Octavia I headunit upgrade

Hi All,

Have been looking into upgrading the headunit in our 2002 Octavia estate to an aftermarket one as the standard cassette deck isn't quite up to what we want. 

Have been given a single DIN Pioneer headunit from a mate, he didn't want it, was sitting around in a cupboard at home so he has given it to me all ready to get in the car.

Been looking online and have a few questions I wanted to ask to make sure that I am buying the correct wiring adaptors for the car. 

First off, the ISO wiring, this is the one I have found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291006215604?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Now, I've taken the standard stereo out and can see the brown and black plugs which I am familiar with from previous headunit upgrades in other cars, but what happens with the blue block?

E72B9C1F-6CB0-41E2-B79F-1469F9218AD6.jpg

Am I looking at the right wiring harness on eBay, or do I need something else?

Secondly, aerial adaptor, is this the correct one I need?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400508663378?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And lastly, does the stereo require a fascia surround? I have looked at the headunit myself which is in the car now and to me it looks pretty much the size of the one going in. I have seen on eBay people sell fascia surrounds for the age of Octavia we have, just don't want to have to buy one if we don't need it. This is the one on eBay I have been looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160785385762&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

And this is where it will be going if I need one: 

1488096_10151850151083598_1058181234_n.j

If anyone can help on the above it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

The ISO adaptor and aerial look right and you wont need any fascia surround.  The blue plug goes to the CD changer which you will loose.

When you have it fitted you may need to swap the permanent and ignition feed wires (red and yellow) if you lose pre-sets.

Thanks for the reply Harvey.

I had completely forgot about the CD changer in the boot, makes sense now. Assume just unplugging the blue block and hiding it away behind the centre console somewhere is ok?

As for swapping the wires, I've heard of people doing this before on Astra forums plenty of times, but never had to actually do it myself. What is the easiest way to swap the wires? Like I said, never had to do this myself in the past and don't want to go messing anything up!

Yeah just tuck the blue plug away, some adaptors come with bullet type connectors on the red and yellow so they can be swapped, if not just put a couple of connectors in yourself. But you may not need to swap anything, I didn't when I replaced the standard HU in my octy

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

OK, will get the bits ordered and give it a try. 

I've used bullet connectors before when I installed the sub and amp on my previous Astra so know what I am doing with them. What part of the wiring is it best to fit them, on the ISO adaptor so I'm not faffing with the headunit or car wiring? 

And at least that way then if something does go wrong and it doesn't work then its simply a few £ to buy a new one I suppose.

Thanks for all your help, will get the bits ordered and give it a try and see what happens.

Will report back once it's all sorted :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hardest part is losing the extra wiring from the aftermarket adaptor. There. Doesn't seem to be much space back there, and it took me three times as long to work out where I could lose the cables and push the unit into place as it did to disconnect and remove the old unit and connect up the new one....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk