High Emissions on Idle

Hey Folks,

I recently had my car in to the National Car test here for the first time in a long time (WAYYYY overdue) and it failed on 2 things, one I know what to do the other is Emissions on Idle... High Revs it was okay.

Are there any simple troubleshoots one should do first for this? Would it be possibly related to the fact it seems to be burning some oil? I say I think its burning it because ive not noticed any drips under the car in the mornings and it keeps running it down.

Thanks,

any engine management lights on? average mpg?

did it fail on CO emissions or HC? 

Lambda fail?

Best off to take a picture of the print out and let us see as there are so many reasons why our cars can fail emissions, they're pretty close to the mark when running properly 

Thanks, I will post a photo of the fail tonight for ye... There is no engine lights on currently though, there was up to recently when I replaced the MAF and the Engine Coolent Sender unit. Average MPG is running at around 32mpg id say on a decent drive... obv city driving is less.

Edited by fionny

So before ive even got the garage the engine light came on:

P0172: System too Rich (Bank 1)

I just replace the Coolant Sensor yolkie and the MAF... any other ideas?

Spoke with my mechanic, he reckons its possible that as its only on the low revs it failed it could be a misfire spitting fuel in the the catalytic converter.

• 3 weeks later...

So turns out the new MAF wasn't playing nice.... mechanic put my old MAF back in and the low idle emissons (and high idle too) went away but it then triggered a lambda sensor error which wasnt their with the newer MAF..

So it seems both of them are faulty... or dont play nice with the car... I think i read here somewhere that non genuine MAF's dont play nice?