Lesson well and truely learnt ....

Well today was my first outing down the drag strip. Bags and fun but have been left with my tail well and truly in between my legs lol.

I just couldn’t put the power down in 1st and 2nd even 3rd had to be treated with care :(

I tried dropping the front tyre psi to around 18 - 20 which had no real effect to be honest, thanks Jason for the pump btw.

Best for the day

Trap time: 14.8

Trap speed: 106mph

60ft - 2.8

This has taught me that I NEED a LSD to have any chance of putting the power down from a standstill. Getting beaten by 180 - 230bhp motors isn’t fun :blush: My trap speed was over 10mph than these guys but I was a good 4 - 6 tenths down on them overall. Doesn’t sound alot but on the strip the gap is massive!

Really wanted to see low 14s today but it wasn’t to be, still, I now have a benchmark for next time and can’t wait to get back out there :rock:

So let this be a lesson to all, buy an LSD before thinking of running anything over a stage 1 map lol

When are you thinking of getting one Joel? ;)

For day to day driving it isnt really required however once funds allow I will bite the bullet and get one. If anyone knows of a "special" offer going get in touch :D

You not launch it in second mate?

I didnt want to experiment in front of a crowd lol. But have been told with the longer box, which I have, it is a little harder to do :(

It will come together in the end, my trap speed, which would improve if I can get the begining right, proves I have the power just need to put it on the road :)

Guest BigJase88

What bhp are you running?

Trap speed is awesome but you seriously can't get off the line

My best was a 14.4s with 97mph terminal with a piddly 195bhp.

Did you not try 2nd gear launch?

Guest BigJase88

I didnt want to experiment in front of a crowd lol. But have been told with the longer box, which I have, it is a little harder to do :(

It will come together in the end, my trap speed, which would improve if I can get the begining right, proves I have the power just need to put it on the road :)

Longer box only difference is 5th and 6th ratios so someones telling you porkies

LSD FTW ! Unfortunately every fraction of a second quicker you go whether on the track or strip costs £££££ with the exception of pro tuition  which costs ££.

I have a quife LSD btw and it's great.   

What bhp are you running?

Trap speed is awesome but you seriously can't get off the line

My best was a 14.4s with 97mph terminal with a piddly 195bhp.

Anything from 275 - 290bhp (low and high boosting maps) ran high boost map today, should have tried the lower one to see if it made any difference to grip but didnt have vcds with me :( To be honest, didnt even think of doing it till now :blush:

Jason was there today, unsure of power he is running now, but with an LSD his terminal speed was around 113mph and easily in the 13s

Once I get the grip I am soon clawing back the ground on them but just run out of road lol. Will have to find a quiet private road to practice the launches on ;)

Forget LSD's. There's by far a morse cost effective way of cutting at least .5 second if not 1 second from your time...get some proper tyres!

With the torque you're putting down to get any chance of a decent time you need to be running drag radials. Never try it on standard road tyres, absute waste of time

Just so you know...I use to race an integra at the strip a hell of a lot and went from a 14.4 straight down to a 13.7! That was back to back runs, street tire to a set of used drag radials.

If you've never used drag radials before....trust me, you'll know about it when you do! GRIP galore!

Uploaded a video to the first post. Yes there is smoke but imo considering the engine is standard minus injectors its not half bad :D

View on Youtube for the highest quality.

Shame the video was cut short but by the end I was just piped on the line after reeling him in lol.

You can also hear the exhaust lol, they are sat a good few meters from the track too :rock:

A LSD ain't going to help you get off the line any quicker. These front wheel drive diesels are ok for B road fun but ain't worth a **** running big power as it can't be put down especially from a standing start

Edited by jays

A LSD ain't going to help you get off the line any quicker. These front wheel drive diesels are ok for B road fun but ain't worth a **** running big power as it can't be put down especially from a standing start

Mine did 0-60mph in 5.6 seconds.

Which I thought was reasonable for a front wheel drive diesel.

Give people a break.

For what they are, the Fabia does pretty well.

• Like 1

Richard, whats you opinion of an lsd for grip off the line ?

I know rubber is probably worth "more" so to speak but the lsd will get used on track and for fun on the b roads lol.

Jason was able to put the power down on road tyres the other day and he has one fitted. I know he is running more power than me too, though not sure of when or how power kicks in.

Richard, whats you opinion of an lsd for grip off the line ?

I know rubber is probably worth "more" so to speak but the lsd will get used on track and for fun on the b roads lol.

LSD is probably the best overall mod, but for standing starts you need tyres.

A pair of drag radials you can swap onto the front when at the strip will probably slash a full second off your times.

LSD isn't so effective, but for daily B road fun or track work it's a must.  The grip will make you wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

I was running about 40 or 50bhp less than you, but with a diff it was a rocket on track.

• Like 1

Mine did 0-60mph in 5.6 seconds.

Which I thought was reasonable for a front wheel drive diesel.

Give people a break.

For what they are, the Fabia does pretty well.

Fair enough but at what price?

Fair enough but at what price?

Well I had less power than Joel.  Probably about 40-50bhp less.

A combo of a diff and decent tyres works wonders.

I'd be surprised if just tyres didn't reduce his quarter mile time to the low 13 second range.

Mine was 13.6 on 888s, which aren't as good as drag radials.

Just need to perfect slipping the tyres for heat and getting a good start.