Gearbox failure?

Just wondering if there are any common reasons for the gearbox on a vRS to fail.

I was driving my car last night when it felt like I had hit a pot hole on the front left side of the car (smooth road with no pot holes) and then the car carried on ok. When I got home I could hear a metallic tapping noise, but was unable to determine where it was coming from. Got the car looked at today and the underside of the car was covered in gearbox oil :( The gearbox has now been removed and there is a hole in the bell housing, Hopefully the user in here I messaged about the car they are breaking still has the gearbox availabel so I can be back on the road soon,

My gearbox in my vrs went bag last year. Same scenario as the above. No call for it to go. I have been advised that the VRS gearbox is the weakest in the VW Group range. I fitted an Audi A3 Gearbox to mine and it much better. Smoother through the range etc and you can pick them up for next to nothing.  The only thing that needs to be done to fit it is the gear selector and clutch assembly needs swapping over but is an easy job.