Hello from England

Hi all

Thanks for all your posts so far – it's really helpful to know what you think of your Octavias.

Read my latest update on whatcar.com here – www.whatcar.com/car-news/july/1301978 – and, yes, it does mention Briskoda.net, so thank you!

Barnaby

Hi all

Thanks for all your posts so far – it's really helpful to know what you think of your Octavias.

Read my latest update on whatcar.com here – www.whatcar.com/car-news/july/1301978 – and, yes, it does mention Briskoda.net, so thank you!

Barnaby

That link forwards here http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/130197/swedish-broker-set-launch-UK which is odd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That link forwards here http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/130197/swedish-broker-set-launch-UK which is odd!

Well that is really odd because  http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/july/1301978 links to the What Car wbsite when I enter it in my browser.

• Like 1

Ah, that is odd. It works properly here in the What Car? office, and I've asked a few colleagues to check the link on their computers and mobiles.

What device are you using?

Barnaby

Ah, that is odd. It works properly here in the What Car? office, and I've asked a few colleagues to check the link on their computers and mobiles.

What device are you using?

Barnaby

iPhone 5, latest iOS. Does the same in Safari and another browser app I have. Very odd! Must be some querky DNS lookup error.

Regular 2.0 TDi 150 manual is about all the car most people would ever really need.

Quick for what it is, comfortable, well equipped (particularly so as an Elegance), economical, vast, well built but most of all (so long as you dont run wild with the options) still a very good value car. DSG is perfectly fine but I'd only have it if an auto box is essential, its expensive and does nothing for the running costs. Also not the smoothest at low speeds (Ive had two DSG cars in succession to this one).

The only real criticisms I would level at it are that its ride is a little firm even with the standard suspension and the handling whilst more than adequate is not exactly inspiring. An excellent day to day mile muncher and not a car you'd get in and drive just for the sake of it Id suggest.

Also id say the standard sound system is a bit weak (and hear mixed things about the Canton upgrade) and certainly from my own experience the infotainment system is a little buggy and not what I would consider entirely intuitive to use.

Would I buy another.....hmmm not entirely sure. As much as I like mine am already a little bored of it 5 months down the line; am kind of missing the Mk2 Blackline it replaced despite the fact the Mk3 is a better car overall. For someone who really likes cars and driving (as I do) a vRS is probably a better bet as it heavily shares Mk7 GTI DNA and is unquestionably a sharper and more enjoyable steer.

iPhone 5, latest iOS. Does the same in Safari and another browser app I have. Very odd! Must be some querky DNS lookup error.

Ah, yes, very odd – and annoying! Sorry, I'm not sure why that isn't working.

If you can't use the link, here's an old-fashioned copy and paste of the report:

I’ve been having an interesting chat with fellow Octavia owners on the Skoda forum Briskoda.net for the past couple of weeks.

Everyone likes their Octavia for the amount of space and equipment it offers for the money, but a couple of 2.0-litre diesel owners were especially keen to point out how much they prefer their cars to the 1.6 diesel versions.

I wholeheartedly agree. For me, the 2.0-litre’s far superior performance (in any gear and at any speed) outweighs the 1.6’s lower purchase price and slightly cheaper running costs.

The 1.6 diesel isn’t a bad choice – far from it – but if you like to get to places even moderately quickly, you’ll think the extra the 2.0-litre costs over the 1.6 is money well spent. I certainly do.

Barnaby

• Like 1

Regular 2.0 TDi 150 manual is about all the car most people would ever really need.

Quick for what it is, comfortable, well equipped (particularly so as an Elegance), economical, vast, well built but most of all (so long as you dont run wild with the options) still a very good value car. DSG is perfectly fine but I'd only have it if an auto box is essential, its expensive and does nothing for the running costs. Also not the smoothest at low speeds (Ive had two DSG cars in succession to this one).

The only real criticisms I would level at it are that its ride is a little firm even with the standard suspension and the handling whilst more than adequate is not exactly inspiring. An excellent day to day mile muncher and not a car you'd get in and drive just for the sake of it Id suggest.

Also id say the standard sound system is a bit weak (and hear mixed things about the Canton upgrade) and certainly from my own experience the infotainment system is a little buggy and not what I would consider entirely intuitive to use.

Would I buy another.....hmmm not entirely sure. As much as I like mine am already a little bored of it 5 months down the line; am kind of missing the Mk2 Blackline it replaced despite the fact the Mk3 is a better car overall. For someone who really likes cars and driving (as I do) a vRS is probably a better bet as it heavily shares Mk7 GTI DNA and is unquestionably a sharper and more enjoyable steer.

Hello

Thanks for the post.

Yes, I agree that the 2.0-litre 150 diesel version is pretty much all the car you'll ever need. As for all the car you'd ever want, though...

I'm not a huge fan of most DSG gearboxes, either. They're too hesitant and jerky at low speeds, so can make manoeuvring a pain. They're great once you're up and running (the gearchanges are really quick and smooth),  but overall I prefer a conventional automatic 'box – or, even better, a manual. Still, I'm sure the engineers will make the next generation of DSG gearboxes better.

I hope you enjoy your Octavia a bit more in future, though! If you do go for a vRS version, let me know how you get on.

Barnaby