4th time lucky - advice on new head unit please

It depends on how much you want to spend and that you want to replace the standard Stream MP3 head unit.

I got a used (in pretty much new condition) Skoda Columbus from ebay.  Plays CDs, DVDs, MP3's.  Has analogue radio + DAB (requires antenna), Sat Nav.  It is works with the 6 CD changer unit.  A fascia trim is also required, as it slightly narrower than the standard head unit.

I also had to purchase a VAG bluetooth unit and handsfree is brilliant.  This also adds voice control to the Columbus, but results are hit and miss.

It depends on how much you want to spend and that you want to replace the standard Stream MP3 head unit.

I got a used (in pretty much new condition) Skoda Columbus from ebay.  Plays CDs, DVDs, MP3's.  Has analogue radio + DAB (requires antenna), Sat Nav.  It is works with the 6 CD changer unit.  A fascia trim is also required, as it slightly narrower than the standard head unit.

I also had to purchase a VAG bluetooth unit and handsfree is brilliant.  This also adds voice control to the Columbus, but results are hit and miss.

There's something amiss there. I have voice control on my Octavia/Columbus combination and there is absolutely no problem at all with the voice control working as it should. You may need to alter the microphone gain with VCDS to obtain the best results.

Mike

Mine works perfectly too. Very handy for plotting in a route while driving.

Phil

Hi guys,

When I said it was hit and miss for the voice control, it is fine for you guys, but being Chinese with a Northern Ireland accent, I have talk 'proper' for the voice control to understand.  I am usually responded with, "Pardon?".

I also realised that the address book is sorted differently compared to my iPhone contacts.  I was used to Siri telling it to ring {first name, surname}, but with the Columbus I have to tell it to dial {surname, first name}.  It's just a matter of getting used to the command it will understand.  It's not Siri, so will have to adapt.

Fan.