Has the Octavia as many of / the same problems as the Fabia?

Reading through the Fabia forum one can't escape the impression that the Fabia 1.4 TSI engine and the seven speed DSG gearbox are disasters and that Skoda themselves are ignoring people's concerns. Is the same true of the latest Octavia, particularly the 1.4 litre petrol version and the 2 litre VRS?

I have owned a 1.4TSi Octavia since mid October. It's a cracking engine. It's the first petrol engined car I have owned for over 5 years. It is powerful enough for me. It is similar in power to the Octavia mk2 2.0 TDI - 138hp which I owned. Plenty of pulling power and acceleration but without the torque power of the diesel. It is averaging 45mpg most of which is urban. Can get 55 mpg on a longer trip. I have some intermittent low frequency booming noise issues with the car but other than that it is a cracking car.

The Fabia 1.4TSI is a VW lump, whereas the 1.4 TSI in the Octy is a new generation of engine from Skoda.

However from my personal ownership of both models of car, I'd say Octy III 0 - Fabia 1 on the reliability front thus far.

Seems to me anyway from 20 years of Skoda ownership starting with a 136, global mass market ambitions and high production rates have done nothing for quality and reliability.

TP

I don't think Skoda (or VW?) did themselves any favours designating the new range of TSi engines with the same name as the older (totally different) TSi.

We are now going to constantly get this type of question coming up. Its a similar situation to the one on the Octavia2 board over the non-existant "disasters" with the oil pump in 2.0PD engines which in fact only ever plagued the Superb. But that did not stop panicked posts every now and again on the Octavia board regarding the issue

To date my reliablity experience is totally opposite to that of The Plumber. My wife's Fabia 2 has been plagued with all sorts of issues from rust to the seatbelts having to be replaced. I was sceptical about her getting it after the problems with her Fabia 1 but she insisted - something she now regrets. The Octavias I have owned have been 100%. Just goes to show how peoples experiences can vary considerably.

And why particularly is the 7 speed DSG a "disaster"?

Edited by Minimoke

Good news about the Octavia 1.4 being different from and not suffering the same the same problems as the Fabia 1.4.  As to the 7 speed DSG it seems as if there have been problems with slow or unexpected changes, strange noises and a Skoda recall for an oil change.

Somewhat different engine in the Fabia to the Octy - it seems the push to 180/185PS (over the design power of 160/170PS) showed up some (possible) weaknesses in the design (personal opinion based on research).  It also has a supercharger as well as a turbo..

DSG7 issues are solely to do with the oil type in hot climates, but the change from synthetic to a mineral oil (the cause of the issues overseas) has become a worldwide "campaign".