Slight power loss on acceleration

I have an octavia vrs mk1 1.8t

It's not modified in any way, completely standard as I want to modify it myself.

However, a slight issue which I will explain below in as much detail as possible.

As I'm driving along, in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear, (I don't really notice the issue in 4th or 5th) I notice a cut in power, like the engine is starved or something.

It's only under acceleration that this happens.

Engine still runs, but it's like it stops giving power for 1 or 2 seconds. And then full power is back.

I'm utterly clueless. I'm very able at fixing things myself, so am not really wanting to pay a garage to diagnose and fix.

It doesn't always happen. So knowing my luck, I'll pay my garage £45 quid and it won't do it!

Any help from anyone on here would be appreciated and if your local to sussex, I can offer beer tokens :-)

Thanks in advance :-)

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have an octavia vrs mk1 1.8t

It's not modified in any way, completely standard as I want to modify it myself.

However, a slight issue which I will explain below in as much detail as possible.

As I'm driving along, in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear, (I don't really notice the issue in 4th or 5th) I notice a cut in power, like the engine is starved or something.

It's only under acceleration that this happens.

Engine still runs, but it's like it stops giving power for 1 or 2 seconds. And then full power is back.

I'm utterly clueless. I'm very able at fixing things myself, so am not really wanting to pay a garage to diagnose and fix.

It doesn't always happen. So knowing my luck, I'll pay my garage £45 quid and it won't do it!

Any help from anyone on here would be appreciated and if your local to sussex, I can offer beer tokens :-)

Thanks in advance :-)

Joe

Joe,

Could be a number of things.  On the 1.8T, my bet would be a duff MAF sensor.  On a previous 1.8T Bora with these symptoms, I replaced the MAF sensor, vacuum hoses, dump valve and all manner of other stuff and it turned out to be the in-tank fuel pump.  Disconnect your MAF sensor (attached to the air box with electrical multiplug on top) and take the car for a drive.  If it drives better, you've found your problem, if not, you know to look elsewhere.  

It could be over fueling caused by a duff MAF, could be a break down on the coil packs, could be bad plugs.  Its one of those things that could be any number of things.  Is it under hard acceleration or partial load? could be clogged injectors, but as said before, could even be a fuel pump prob, if it was me i would pull the plugs and check/replace as needed, it could be a N249 valve problem.

Start by locating a code reader and scanning the car.
This might give you a better idea of where to start with a fix.  Even a cheap ODB2 reader from eBay would be a start.

As mentioned above it could be anything from a duff MAF to a boost leak.

Lovely. Thanks for the advice guys. My mates BF has an OBD scanner. Will get it scanned on Tuesday when he is back from Zante (lucky sod)

Thanks peeps :)

Lovely. Thanks for the advice guys. My mates BF has an OBD scanner. Will get it scanned on Tuesday when he is back from Zante (lucky sod)

Thanks peeps :)

Good idea. Scanning is basically your first port of call.

HOWEVER - please do try the advice that another member posted earlier - disconnecting the MAF sensor. It is a very quick and easy way to rule out a common fault - these MAF sensors do fail fairly regularly.

The MAF sensor is located in the large pipe which runs from the back of the airbox. Under the bonnet, you will see the airbox on the right-hand side as you look in, above the battery - and if you look at the top of the airbox, you will see a large pipe running out of it which goes up and to the left. There is a sensor about halfway, with an electrical plug on it.

Disconnect the plug, and drive the car. You will have warning lights come up on the dashboard - don't worry about these, they will go out again once you've re-connected the sensor.

If the fault you describe has got better or disappears - then you know straight away that you need a new MAF sensor. They're about £60, and you can replace it easily yourself in about 10 minutes flat. Finding this fault and replacing it yourself obviously saves on garage bills.

Thank you Ray. Advice duly noted. I shall have a go at that in the morning.

Once again, thanks guys. Shall keep you updated on progress and hopefully get to the bottom of this in the next few days.

Joe