An obvious mistake

So keen today on my day off I thought shall I go and find a replacement car as it was Lightcliffe's first day at the point or shall I just wait again and give it a service.

It ended up being a £240 parts spend and a Full service and Discs and Pads on my Dad's Fabia 2, An oil and filter and levels on my mates Fabia SDI and then a Minor Service, Discs and Pads, Drums and Shoes on my Fabia 2.

Dad's Car No problem

Mates car No problem

My car and bare in mind I was only changing them because they had done 50k - Wrong Drums and two nails in one of my Pirelli Pzero's

What a bummer - so car is on stands on the drive waiting for replacements tomorrow !!! 

Golden rule !!!! Always check your parts at the Parts department !!!!!!!!

Edited by exskodatech

All too easy to do!

I hate drum brakes, such antiquity should be banned! :D

The first time I had to do drums (couldn't find any decent manuals at the time) It took me two days put back together one of them like a nasty puzzle. Second one was done in 30 mins flat lol - stupid contraptions.

Cannot help with the nails though ;)

• Like 3

All too easy to do!

I hate drum brakes, such antiquity should be banned! :D

The first time I had to do drums (couldn't find any decent manuals at the time) It took me two days put back together one of them like a nasty puzzle. Second one was done in 30 mins flat lol - stupid contraptions.

Cannot help with the nails though ;)

You would kind of think that in this day and age with all this talk of health and safety they would bring and end to drum breaks and say all cars must have disks all round. Because they're more reliable, can't get filled with water, are easier to repair, more effective and you can tell how worn they are without having to dismantle them.

Brakes all sorted and now are carefully being bedded in. Biggest headache was the removal of the arm rest to set optimum handbrake adjustment but I am just a bit anal like that !

Glad you got it all sorted.  It is a pain when you strip something down only to find the new parts don't fit  :devil: .

Drum brakes often come up on forums. No one seems to quite know why the manufacturers still do it. Cost is the obvious but surely, when you consider the parts, there can't be that much difference in the cost of making drums, shoes adjusters etc, to making Discs Calipers and pads?

Good thing is they do work well on the Fabia if properly maintained.....with the correct parts. :D .

• Like 1