Good Morning!

New to the forum so hi everyone.

My Octy is now out of its year warranty from Sandilands Skoda (formerly Farmers) so I was thinking it is time for some mods.

As mentioned I have about £500 to spend so was looking at a remap. I'm close to Hull so thinking of a REVO map from Autotechnica. My alloys are in terrible state so looking for a decent powder coater, any recommendations?

Thats prob the budget gone then, any thoughts as to what may be more beneficial, or just general advice?

All advice is gratefulky received!

Cheers

Max

HI and welcome to Briskoda :)

IMHO it depends on what you feel is best. A list and a limited budget don't go well together really.....

A remap would make it go faster.

Refurb alloys would make it look nicer.

A new headunit would make things sound nicer.

RARB upgrade would make it handle better.

As with all mods, it's a personal thing.

I would say get the alloys redone, I think they affect the whole look of the car and nice newly refurbed ones would look good.  

Re-map,  do you really need to go any faster?  Speeding fines are £100 nowadays lol

I'd agree with what's been said already.

However you have a L&K. These models command quite a premium when buying/selling second hand, so I would steer away from any major non oem type mods that might devalue the car. Definitely sort the alloys, but I would either source a new set or get them reconditioned to oem colour by a decent alloy wheel refurb company and replace the centre badges.....I'd avoid any type of coloured powder coat like the plague on an L&K.

If you want to remap it, get it done by a company that will take the remap off for free when you come to sell it, and I would agree that an oem head unit upgrade would be a good addition. A Columbus would be great, but probably well out of the £500 budget. Not sure how old your car is......if it has a stream than an upgrade to a Bolero head unit is still worthwhile as they look much more modern.

But like Rainbowfire says, it's really down to personal choice/preference.            

If you want to remap it, get it done by a company that will take the remap off for free when you come to sell it, and I would agree that an oem head unit upgrade would be a good addition. A Columbus would be great, but probably well out of the £500 budget. Not sure how old your car is......if it has a stream than an upgrade to a Bolero head unit is still worthwhile as they look much more modern.

.....or a Shark remap with an STS unit, so you can demap it yourself. :) (£300 for the map plus £150 for the STS)

.....or a Shark remap with an STS unit, so you can demap it yourself. :) (£300 for the map plus £150 for the STS)

how much? I think he'll have no change from £499...

how much? I think he'll have no change from £499...

He'll actually have £49 change from £499. 

Anyway, I think that was just to illustrate the point. I'm sure you could shop around and get it cheaper.

Edited by booke23
  • Like 1

As it's an L&K I agree I don't want to go too garish with mods. I was after changing the alloys to a darker gunmetal as I think this will look great with the dark bodywork.

True a remap isn't really necessary but would be fun.

I think some coilovers would be an idea to tighten the handling. There are some prosport ones for sale on here, are they any good?

I'm happy with the sounds so I'll leave the stereo for another time!

Edited by lkocty81

On an L&K Coil-overs would certainly be different...

I think the big question to ask is do you intend to keep the car for a long period of time or a couple of years and move on?

If you intend on keeping it for many years then ignore potential re-sale values and change it to please you.

I would however avoid Prosport coilovers, I've no idea how they are on Skoda however as a cheap product they were appalling on a Volvo 850R I owed, bouncy and completely adjust-ability was very limited.

• Like 1

If it was my £500 I'd fit a RARB and do the alloys - in that order. Even a stock spring and damper set up will be vastly better with an uprated RARB.

If you must do the springs and dampers you are probably more likey to get better results going for a non-coilover set up if you are on a budget. I only say this because I have been pleasantly surprised with the £300 Vogtland kit on my PD140 shed and decent coilovers (i.e., adjustable ride height etc) tend to be more expensive, e.g., Bilstein B12 circa £660 whereas B16 circa £1400.

Hi there, i live in Hull and had my winter wheels powder coated @ Wheelemin,   see http://www.wheelemincmengineeringhull.co.uk/carbodyrepairshull.html  Their main website seems to be under construction at the moment.

The job on my wheels was good, but like all powder coaters they can't do the plastic centre caps, they can only wet spray them. Can't remember what i paid but £220 for 4 wheels comes to mind. The only problem i had was the centre of the wheels seemed to have too much paint on, they were very tight to fit, so flatted back with wet and dry.

+1 On the RARB.

On my L&K it transformed the car. The wallowing and heaving made me think I had made a dreadful and costly mistake. After a very disappointing start, the RARB did the business. Much tighter and better controlled and now a pleasure to drive.

I had thought of other things to spend money on, but that was sufficient.

The map came later....

• Like 1

So after a hefty bill from the garage for a major service I'm now stripped back on funds so think a RARB will be my first investment. Turns out I had a knackered front shock to start with so should sort things out. Then back to saving for the remap :-( @toddie thanks for the tipmon the wheels.