I'm confused over the size of my turbo down pipe....

Oh...... Not good. Is there not a website that actually explains in detail about this as I am not stupid, but I just don't understand any of this. Dunno what a flange is. Have no idea of my set up. It appears I have not got a standard exhaust. I thought it was the original. But looking at others, it looks like it's possibly a back box? Unsure what size the exhaust is leading to the turbo down pipe.... I wanna keep the standard tube size as not upgrading my turbo.

I have no idea what I'm talking about really. I just want my freaking car decatted lol. If someone compiled a small list of things to buy, that I need to do the job, then I'll buy it. Get it fitted. Arrrrrggghh..... Why did I not take mechanics at college. What was so appealing about history :-S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reading this thread is amusing....

Firstly buddy you should relax and take a chil pill, this is not heart surgery :D

It is not complicated.

Secondly the detail you are looking for.

The seller is not going to go into great detail about what fit's what and what don't as seller is assuming the buyer knows this. Or has found this out.

Sorry this is not saying you are stupid but you know the basics on a 1.8T. If you are buying a decat then you should be aware that these won't pass mot's and thus you have done some digging for detail.

But to help you further

All 1.8T 150bhp and 180bhp transverse engines use the same Exhaust manifold weather K03 or K03s turbo which means cars like Audi A3, Seat Leon cupra(not R) , Golf 1.8T , Skoda 1.8T(not 4x4) , VRS etc all have the same downpipe/cat arrangement.

So example in Ebay weather they say VRS or not but list those other makes in the VAG range, they  are going to fit the VRS 

Examples here:

3 " twin piece (preferred by many owners including me)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-OCTAVIA-VW-GOLF-MK4-20V-1-8T-STAINLESS-EXHAUST-DECAT-DOWN-PIPE-7928-/310318311369

2.5" single piece(still a good option as less messing to fit to a point)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/161253670437?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

That is about the only 2 types of decat not branded. You can get Miltek, Jetex etc that are dearer but they do fit to center section better.

Regarding weather to get 2.5" or 3" is not really a big issue tbh. 2.5" does the job, and if you really was not going to map your car and keep it std then maybe best to go for that size. (although i ask if decating in the first place why not go for more power later) . You will still need reducer to fit 2.5" std exhaust , if that is what you have.

Note you can not buy a 2.5" in a 2 piece decat (well not that i have seen)

3" decat is fine,  gives a little more spool up on turbo and ok to use with std exhaust the gases will only go as quick as the rest of the exhaust system will allow.

Thirdly the Flange 

That is talking about the part that connects to the turbo end of the exhuast manifold. which is a a 4 hole flange and std . Don't worry about that at all.   

Finally Fitting

Be prepared to have to mess about with this.

Without knowing what exhaust you have for sure you will likely need various clamps / sleeves etc to fit decat to center section. Although decat comes with reducers these may not be enough to get the 2 exhausts to meet and or right diameter to connect together. I certainly would not prepare for simple fit.

This is why some folks choose to pay more for decat like a Miltek / Jetex etc or worry about a garage fitting it that knows about messing. Most exhaust centers these days though tend to be fitters and expect the parts to fit and not mess also.

So you may need a performance centre.

When I purchased my 2 piece i had a section welded to it as hated the sleeves and different odd reducers and went for a simple slide fit to center section

SDC14872.jpg

I am no mechanic either my friend just a enthusiast who reads up, listens and learns ....... 

• Like 1