Aircon clutch

My aircon clutch fell off with a bang yesterday as it bounced off the road and hit the floor pan. How can I tell if it's OK to put back on or if it needs a new one?

Is just a case of getting a new nut or is there something else I'd need to put it back on working?

The clutch in the pulley is electromagnetic so there should be two wires coming from the centre bit. Sounds like they have ripped off. Do you gave a picture you could upload?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The clutch in the pulley is electromagnetic so there should be two wires coming from the centre bit. Sounds like they have ripped off. Do you gave a picture you could upload?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The part that fell off is the clutch plate - the coil will still be fixed in place.

It should go straight back onto the compressor shaft. You will need a new nut and torque it to 20Nm. Use a feeler gauge to check the clearance between the clutch plate/pulley is between 0.4mm and 0.8mm.

20140731_160009.jpg

20140731_160026.jpg

Cool, I'll try and get to the scrapyard for the nut tomorrow [emoji2]

Might go to kwick fit for a regass first tho ;)

If you need to get a new nut, then part 1J0298012 includes the nut, but it is £8. You'll need to make a counterholding tool that locks into the 3 holes (see http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/233421-the-infamous-air-con-clutch-failure/#entry2749391 ). If you PM me a real email address, I'll send you some service info.

The a/c service station will reject a car without a working compressor :(