Coil packs, and uprated coils

so the plugs made my car run 10 times better but i still have the slight issue upon startup which feels like a plug is fouling.

my guess its a tired coil pack.

Question, what is the part number for a 2010 fabia vrs coil pack?

also, 

are there any uprated coil packs? im a strong believer of when its broken, uprate it. (not OKADA cant afford things like that!)

Try this. When stone cold in the morning swithc her on, count to 3 and switch her off, count to 3 and switch her back on. Let me know if there is any difference.

Okay i will let you know, a friend suggested this....

what should i be looking out for?

im only mentioning this due to lack of power for around 30 seconds, from 2-4 which is as high as i will take it cold.

with or without the bluespark box.

box on or off,

Red hot engine, or ice cold.

this issue is still there.

Try this. When stone cold in the morning swithc her on, count to 3 and switch her off, count to 3 and switch her back on. Let me know if there is any difference.

I tried this as I get rough running when cold for 30 seconds. Turned off and then back on and she runs sweet as a nut :-)

I work in IT so I'm used to the old restart fixing problems! ;-)

What causes that to work?

• Like 1

ECU is in rapid catalyst heating mode so it retards the ignition and makes injectors open up twice in one cycle. Plugs only fire once. Since exhaust headers are complete crap log type design (not entirely as runners are separate but are of different lengths and extremely short leading to different back pressures in the combustion chamber where cyls 1&4 with longer headers have better combustion gases clearing abilities than 2&3 with shorter headers) and is very short that fuel gets to catalyst and gets combusted there increasing temperature of catalyst rapidly. 

This results in rough running. Switch it on and of and on and ECU thinks they already done the cat heat up cycle and it runs like a normal car again :).

That is obviously my interpretation and I do not have full logs to back it up. :p

• Like 3

Okay i will let you know, a friend suggested this....

what should i be looking out for?

im only mentioning this due to lack of power for around 30 seconds, from 2-4 which is as high as i will take it cold.

with or without the bluespark box.

box on or off,

Red hot engine, or ice cold.

this issue is still there.

I read somewhere that tuning boxes do not work at low and very high rpm range to make sure engine stays undamaged.

Mind you, I never experienced lack of power even without doing the trick, actually it is more powerful as it gets much more fuel for a short time :).

I think it's good the car doesn't want to go quick from cold, let's you know it's not ready lol

As i said in my post, this happens when hot also, for example, drove home from work, stopped off at the shop, get back in the car, issue is there.

this isnt a limiter, it feels like its missing on one cylinder. like i have had in the past on numerous cars, thats why im mentioning it and asking about uprated coils which dont cost £700.

gave this a go last night and this morning, issue is almost gone, even on hot startup the issue is still there a little, but its more than drivable now :)

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/216407-vrsys-mk2-fabia-vrs-project-and-build

Page 8, post #232

Maybe have a look at 'vRSy' s Build in Projects and the Ignition Coils he fitted, 

he is on the forum so maybe PM him on the subject if he does not see your question.

http://bestpartstore.co.uk/skoda-fabia/fabia/33681/10250

http://bestpartstore.co.uk/audi-a1/a1-8x1/9304/10250

george

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Mind you, after Blyton my vRS seems to be working much smoother, did not notice any problems Monday at all at any time and that is without doing anything at all, just turn the ignition and go. I think that what I described above works fine when plugs are perfectly fine but can struggle a bit when a bit crapped up when you do not let it all bur off during sustained high load running like on a track day. 

Matthew had a Spark Plug that was failing before and after fitting the Tuning Box.

new Coils might well be worth the expense, just for reliability. IMO.

Yeah George,

Plugs felt like they needed changing even before the box was fitted, when it was fitted it was clear something wasnt right with jurkyness and misfires throughout the middle of the rev range.

changed plugs, issue was gone, but there was still a little something there..

ill get new coilpacks in a few days when i get paid.

Would be interesting if coil packs cure the issue!

im sure they will, question is, do i buy one and swap it around, till the issue goes away or do i take the £80 hit and buy four and be done with it?

ive got the money to, but i dont want to be wasting money when im potentially moving country.

Driving yesterday, through a 50 zone, dropped it to third just before it went back to a 70 and i had the EML flash for a little while??

Anybody got any advice on this??

still havent received the coil i ordered last week.

I would suggest there were misfires, just as happened when the plug was shot,  only this time a Ignition Coil is Shot.

george

Cheers george!! 

this happened not far from your place actually, the 50mph zone on the A90.

this fits my suspicions.