1.2tsi self aervice

Swmbo car is due a 3rd service soon and was thinking of doing it myself. how hard is it to change oil filter and fuel filter? Dont want to start it and end up not being able to finish it. Any info would be great.

Hi donny, ok, so is it an auto dsg box? That may be good reasons not to service it yourself if it is. There is a service campaign on some of those engines to change the gearbox oil. It also may involve gearbox ecu updates too depending what box it is. If that doesn't apply or has been done then changing the engine oil and filter is about as easy as it gets. However, remember if you service it yourself it's more than just an oil change. There may be ecu updates required too. You can check with your dealer on that one before starting. The car still needs an inspection of tyres, exhaust, brakes and brake hoses, fuel line, and feel tension tightness of steering and suspension nuts and bolts and make sure there are no shock absorbers leaking oil etc and check the underside of the vehicle for damage. Make sure wheel nut tension is good. Don't try to over tighten them, just feel the tension on them to make sure they are not loose. Look particularly for oil leaks, power steering fluid leaks and brake fluid leaks. Make sure to use the right oil too. It's important. Don't put cheap rubbish in use only the specified fully syn oil. 

Good luck if you do it yourself, but in my opinion it's best left to the professionals if you have to ask the question about how easy it is to do an oil change. You really need to know what else to look for with confidence. Not only that but a young car such as your wife's will probably have it's value affected by a diy service with no dealer stamp in the book. I wouldn't buy it. As an ex-tech I've seen some horrendous service bodges over the years by diy'ers and people are wary of that. No disrespect intended to you of course, but just saying. 

Edited by Estate Man
  • Like 1

price Skoda charge on their fixed price mad not to get them to do it.  At least thats what i am doing on the VRS.  But oil change should be easy, use the right oil, makesure you change the plug seal if there is one, pollen filter too is needed and i would assume if the 3rd service is a mjor one that spark plugs are needed, 

Reason i bought the Skoda is to have acar that i don;t touch myself, i have the Type R for that fun ( its not always fun anymore either)

Edited by Ant FR