Which engine?

Ok.. so I'm having a little engine trouble and I took it to a mechanic.

I'm a little confused though as he's telling me it's not a PD.

As far as I'm aware it's a Skoda Octavia I AMBIENTE TDI 130 (two red letters on the back). It's a 6 speed.

I wasn't aware of any 130's that are non PD and the V5 even has 130 written in it.

Is mine definitely a PD?

Yes, you have one of the uber rare Ambiente SE run out models which came with the 130bhp PD engine.

Just to double check, what is the engine code? - Check the sticker in the service book or under the boot flloor.

• Like 1

It's an ASZ. I had no idea they were rare!

I'm thinking of trying out volksautos in sutton for a second opinion. Thanks!

It's giving me grief if I take it over 4000 rpm (limp mode and overboost) so hoping to have it sorted soon.

It's an ASZ. I had no idea they were rare!

I'm thinking of trying out volksautos in sutton for a second opinion. Thanks!

It's giving me grief if I take it over 4000 rpm (limp mode and overboost) so hoping to have it sorted soon.

It's rare to have an ambiente with that engine rather than the 90bhp injection pump diesel. You could get in the elegance and L&K from early 2003 IIRC but the Ambiente SE was introduced just before the mkII was released as a special edition. I have only ever seen two of them and one was a brand new one at the dealers.

The vnt turbos don't like pootling round town as it can bung up the turbo vanes leasing to over boost and limp mode. A fault scan with VCDS should help identity the problem. It could also be a perished vacuum hose or faulty vavle as mentioned above.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It's rare to have an ambiente with that engine rather than the 90bhp injection pump diesel. You could get in the elegance and L&K from early 2003 IIRC but the Ambiente SE was introduced just before the mkII was released as a special edition. I have only ever seen two of them and one was a brand new one at the dealers.

The vnt turbos don't like pootling round town as it can bung up the turbo vanes leasing to over boost and limp mode. A fault scan with VCDS should help identity the problem. It could also be a perished vacuum hose or faulty vavle as mentioned above.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Well, I feel special now :D

I became aware of the VNT problem recently so have been driving in lower gears trying to keep revs over 2000 half the time.

Going to see if I can get it onto a ramp and check the actuator by hand. That or take it to my dad's mechanic for another opinion on the issue.

Final stop is probably volksautos.

Have trouble convincing my brother to take it because of the fault.

Thanks for the responses as well everyone. I Feel very welcome here :)

Edited by bspman
  • Like 1

If the exhaust configuration is similar to that of the 110, and you have thin arms, you can reach the actuator from above....

Will give it a go when I get back from work. Thanks for the advice!

Will give it a go when I get back from work. Thanks for the advice!

If you can reach it, then disconnect the lower left vacuum pipe from the n75 and suck on that it.  That should apply a vacuum to the actuator and you should be able to feel it moving (and not hear it creaking).  Obviously don't stick your hands near to the turbo shortly after the engine has been running unless you want to burn your fingers....

PICT2481.JPG

If you can reach it, then disconnect the lower left vacuum pipe from the n75 and suck on that it.  That should apply a vacuum to the actuator and you should be able to feel it moving (and not hear it creaking).  Obviously don't stick your hands near to the turbo shortly after the engine has been running unless you want to burn your fingers....

PICT2481.JPG

Couldn't reach it from above. Will try this one tomorrow! Am I going to end up sucking anything into my mouth ?!

Right.. so I couldn't quite access those pipes as they're tucked in some very difficult to reach places that I couldn't reach.

Did manage to take a video and find the actuator.

Reached down and tried to move it.. it barely moved and made some creaking whilst attempting to do so.

Got wife to start car whilst I looked at the actuator rod. it didn't move.

Asked her to rev it up and then down and hold it.

It tends to move very slowly and only a little then snap back into position if it moves at all.

I am assuming that the vanes are well and truly stuck since I see a much wider range of movement on all the other videos?

Edited by bspman

Reached down and tried to move it.. it barely moved and made some creaking whilst attempting to do so.

That certainly would indicate that something was amiss with the turbo (but it might not be the root cause of the issue)

I am assuming that the vanes are well and truly stuck since I see a much wider range of movement on all the other videos?

The vanes might be sooted up or the control ring side might have gone rusty.

P1000653.JPG

P1000655.JPG

P1000656.JPG

P1000668.JPG

P1000678.JPG

Edited by mbames

PICT2481.JPG

What a muppet... I had thought it was a different pipe.

But in the image the top two on the N75. 2nd pipe down! Thought it was something lower down and further back.

I can probably reach this pipe.. so I'll give that a go. Also been advised it's worth disconnecting the pipe before trying to move the actuator.

Still waiting for the weather to hold up to get under the car!

Edited by bspman

• 7 months later...

Quick follow up - I filled it with vpower and took the car for a nice long drive late at night. Safe mode a handful of times for the first hour or so of the journey. After a prolonged period on the m40 uphill at 3-4k rpm for a some time It seems to be free of issues now. It's been fine provided I don't just crawl around town. This is car that either needs the highway or needs to be driven hard!

Thanks for all your help everyone.

• 8 months later...

Another thread update - tying off loose ends again. I've had the issue re-occur. Filled with 2x bottles of forte diesel turbo cleaner and vpower. Problems sorted.

Drive it low down and heavy footed and it seems to go ok now :)