New battery choices...

hewesy

Hi All, long time no speak and all that!

Come out this am and been greeted with a "whurr" when trying to start the car.  The Central locking still works, dash lights come on but as soon as I turn the keyy everything goes out, including the clock.  It's always started first time till now.

It still has the original battery (2005-2014, pretty good!) So that's my first guess.  It's only been sat unused for a week and ran started perfectly when I last used it, but I guess the last short journey wasn't long enough to recoup the start.

So, looking at Euro Car Parts it seems I'm awash with choices!  I'm thinking a mid level Exide for about £80 unless anyone has any better suggestions?  It's "only" a 1.4TDi, no mods and I just want it to start every day!

Hewesy

I have just bought and fitted a fresh battery to mine.

Something of similar power output as your previous one, as long as the dimensions are the same I wouldn't worry about it being mid level, even the lower end batteries should serve you well for the rest of the car's life.

I can't quite remember the brand I bought, but it was somewhere around £60 inc vat.

JRJG

Cheers for the quick reply, Euro Car Parts do have a battery for about £60, Lion I think is the brand.  Like you say, likely to last the life of the car - or at least my ownership!

Just put a meter across and it's kicking out a heady 9.6v.  Probably the few tries I gave it have taken a chunk of what was left.

Any fitting tips?

Hewesy

As your's it the earlier Fabia I can't really give any tips on the fitting as I believe the earlier batteries and compartments are different to mine, the older ones are apparently better though , not sure what kind of 'improvement' they though they were making!

Just make sure the battery 'grips' are nice and tight, and that the battery 'sits' where it should properly, there are usually little lugs on the bottom that sit into place to help stop it moving about. I heard tales of an ar.se of a policeman who couldn't find anything wrong with a blokes car, but wanted to do him for something, it came down to a fine for a 'loose battery'. So I always keep mine nice and tight!

JRJG

Cheers guys, much appreciated.  Looks like I can get an Exide locally too.

Thanks Jrjg, I think mine is still just the earlier version, but duly noted on fit!  I have a mk1 MX5 with the battery in the boot - it tries to jump around if the clamp isn't nice and tight!  Needs vent pipes too, always interesting as it is opposite the fuel tank...

Hewesy

Cheers for the quick reply, Euro Car Parts do have a battery for about £60, Lion I think is the brand.  Like you say, likely to last the life of the car - or at least my ownership!

Just put a meter across and it's kicking out a heady 9.6v.  Probably the few tries I gave it have taken a chunk of what was left.

Any fitting tips?

Hewesy

Wouldn't touch Lion with a barge pole. 

Bosch, Varta or if you can find a stockist Hoppecke. 

Oh dear, just fitted a Lion! Only battery in size, amp hour, in stock (car needed tomorrow) - I'm not deliberately ignoring advice guys.

3yr warranty so any issues will be going back.

12.6v at rest and 14.4v when running across the terminals, bit healthier!

Hewesy