Clicking when driving straight - Mk1 04 Octavia Combi

Wobsta

As per title, I have a regular clicking noise only audible when driving at over about 40 miles an hour in a straight line. Its frequency matches with road speed.

It changes tone when turning left or right (and seems to almost disappear when turning in one direction (to the right from memory), though the turns are really only minimal since I'm doing 40-50 at the time. Probably got some strange looks driving down the dual carriageway weaving from side to side.

Doesn't appear to be any noise or clunking on moderate speed full lock manouevres as far as I can tell.

I don't think there's any doubt that it's coming from the off side front.

I've had the car up on stands this morning to investigate. I can't find any play in the wheel and there doesn't appear to be any rumbling from the wheel bearing. On turning the wheel by hand with the steering in any position I think I can hear a rattling type noise that I would think is indicative of the CV joint coming apart. My guess would be the inner joint since it's apparent in a straight line. Didn't have a torch so couldn't see much of the inner CV joint - may have another look in a minute.

Does that seem about right?

All that said if it is the inner, for the price, I'm tempted just to pop one of these in:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-OCTAVIA-1-9-TDi-TURBO-DIESEL-5-SPEED-OFF-SIDE-DRIVESHAFT-1998-2010-/171098170395?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d63ee41b

since I've got to take the shaft out anyway, it seems to make sense and would cover both inner and outer CV possibilities. A lot less mess too assuming it comes assembled.

Does anyone have any experience of J&R CV joints? A two year guarantee fills me with some confidence.

Thoughts please?

I think I've convinced myself it's the outer CV joint. On reinspection (with a lamp this time) I couldn't see anything untoward on the inner (or the outer for that matter, no obvious splits, tears etc).

However if I throw it in gear, pull on the brake disc as far forward as I can to take up play in the gear box, then hold the driveshaft as still as possible, there appears to be 3-4 degrees of play in the outer CV joint and that certainly appears to be where the noise is coming from, so I'm going to order an outer and hopefully that's it.

I always seem to answer my own questions on here; hopefully it's of some assistance to someone.

Speaking of which, Haynes recommends removing the entire driveshaft to replace the outer CV joint. Whenever I've done this in the past I've only ever done it with te driveshaft in situ. Is there any reason it can't be done this way?

You can only hear it with the window open, so definitely outside, and it's certainly not as loud as it was. Some days I can hardly hear it; it doesn't seem to be consistent.

I have had a look for a foreign object in the tyre and couldn't see anything, but I'm going to have another look.

Not grooved or drilled, just a plain flat surface.