Battery or starter?

Hi all,

So I have been having intermittent problems with the starting of my superb. Sometimes it starts fine sometimes it's dead! When I say dead I mean all lights and radio are fine however when I turn the key I get nothing, the car try's to turn and nothing. I get no clicking from the starter at all.

I can however jump from another car or booster pack fine? I did a parasitic test on the battery and after removing the interior lights fuse I was only pulling 0.14a which to me is fine?

Would you think the problem is to do with the starter? The battery was tested at halfords and they said it was ok. I am concerned I am getting no clicking when trying to turn over

Thanks

If you had clicking, but no turning over, i'd have started with the earth strap - not enough amperage getting through.  Still would on the basis that boost from a jumper gives it enough punch.

Easy to test the earthing, by using a jump lead as a bypass.

Battery terminals clean and shiny?

I had similar on an Opel Ascona in the 1980's.  Turned out to be fracture in the solder on one of the starter solenoid terminals, which I found by sheer fluke.

Gaz

• 1 month later...

oh man, some of ye people really jump into the deep and ignore the basics.. :L

if it doesn't start.. and then when you jumpstart (assuming battery terminals to battery terminal's, ie not earth to body earth) then all you are eliminating is the battery.. simples..

how ever that is also assuming that the terminals are tight, clean and making proper contact.

I cant say id have much faith in anyone working in Halfords for their battery checking skills..

have you done a high rate discharge test? if so what were the results?

is it a sealed battery?

if not is there enough acid in them? when under load (during the discharge test) do any of the cells bubble?