Various electrical issues all relating to the driver's side front door

Hi all,

I have a 2001 Skoda Octavia 1.9D estate.

I've recently developed the following problems, nearly all of which seem to be related to the driver's door:

1) Central locking not working correctly. I always have to manually unlock the car and when I do, only the driver's door opens. If I use the central locking then the boot, and both passenger doors open but the front passenger door won't close again and I have to push the button down to lock it.

2) Electric window control (for all windows) doesn't work on the driver's door but on the other doors the electric windows do work. The lock, unlock and child lock buttons don't work either

3) The alarm which tells you your headlights are still on when you open the door doesn't work.

I've been looking at a few other forums and now that I think about it, I don't think the lights come one when I open the door either.

I've looked in the fuse box and can't see any fuses which have blown.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could tell me what the problem is or give me any diagnostic tips to find the problem.

I'm not even sure how to get the door panel off so, if that's where the problem lies, I'd be grateful for some pointers on that too.

Cheers,

Shaun

Hi Shaun

Pop the drivers door handle trim off (a ribbed piece of plastic on the back of the handle) and gently prise up the door handle switch panel (the one with the electric window and door lock controls - this is secured by the handle trim). Check that the electrical connection into the bottom of that is secure... If that's come lose then that's where your issues are as this controls the majority of the functions that you describe... It's a connector block which pushes into the base of the switch gear...

David

I would also check the other end of the same cable which is behind the trim where the bonnet release is. I had similar symptoms and multiplug had water in it that had run down from the door.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the helpful posts.

Had a look under the door handle switch panel this morning and the connection looked okay to me. I will have a look at the other end of the cable and the door control unit later today if I have time.

We'll get there soon, I'm sure.

Cheers