2.0 TDI Serious Oil Leak

Last week I noticed a small patch of oil on my driveway and I looked at the sump of my 2.0 TDI 140 BKD and saw oil dripping from the sump plug, I assumed it needed tightening and did so.

The dripping seemed to stop but 2 days later after a quick blast up the motorway I noticed the sump was covered in dried oil.

It now leads me to think that the oil leak is more catastrophic, is there a seal between the block and the sump? Does this fail? 29cf4584b1ecd3542e499d3e38e586bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's possible the fasteners holding the sump on have eased off and are allowing oil to leak past the gasket.

Check the bolts/nuts and if necessary nip them up a little and monitor the situation.

I thought a sealant was used rather than a gasket twixt sump and block? Has it ever been removed?

If its dry and baked on, then it may not be leaking now, just prior drippage.

From the fuzzy pic, it looks more like undersealant.

Has the sump ever had a clout? They do sit lowish. I managed to smash a mk1 octavia sump completely.

The turbo oil return is not immune to leakage either.

I've never had my cam cover off, but it can be a mare to reseal apparently. Any recent work which may have disturbed that?