POwer Steering Leak Pretty Bad

flanok

2006 Skoda Fabia Mk1 1.4 16v petrol

I know there are several threads about this common fault, but as I have a LHD version and based in Spain (where its almost imossible to find parts like this as cars are are not scrapped as easy as in the UK), I need to be certain.

the leak is definatly comming from the drivers side steering rack area. (the driver side is LHD).

But what I find unusual is the level of the leak,

if I did a 180 turn there would be fluid everywhere and 2 180 turns would probably emply all the fluid.

It just seems so much for the seals to fail to this level so quickly, within a week.

this car is quickly becomming the worst car I have ever bought.

So I am grasping at straws to another issue.

Also I have seen that the rack could come from a Polo and possible an Ibiza which would improve my chances.

Can anyone int me to where i can get info to see what other models is this power steering rack used on.

Mark

I can't help with part numbers.

But. I had a similar leak in my VRS. Came on out of the blue. Would leave piles of fluid on my drive. In fact I was filling it up every couple of days so just got a replacement rack ASAP.

In your scenario, do you have any breakers on eBay who can send you a used rack? Obviously no guarantee it'll last but if it's cheap and you know someone who'll fit it privately for cheaper labour rates, it may be worth a go.

it gets complicated as ebay hardly exists in Spain and there are laws regarding working in the street and even though I have a private parking area in an underground garage, this also is not allowed.

If I could find a rack an had somewhere to work I would attempt it myself,

If I can find somewhere private to do it, but it doesn't look good.

My only chance of finding a rack is if it is used across several  models, then maybe find a mobile mechanic that has his own working space.

Mark

I didn't realise it was so complicated.

A competent mechanic should take no longer than 3 hours to change the rack. In the UK it's common to find reconditioned racks for a reasonable price but obviously they are all right hand drive so no good to you.