think its time to get rid

ash_1909

The mk1 VRS is normally a very reliable car if looked after & serviced correctly, after all it shares it's mechanics with a mkiv Golf which is not known for being problematic.

For a tapping engine, I'd be pulling the sump off to check the oil pick up strainer isn't sludged up asap as it sounds like your car hasn't been looked after.

There is the camshaft sensor on timing belt side and i didnt unplug it at all. But on the other side there is a solinoid on the timing chain side that is attached to the tensioner and that is also plugged in

As you have had problems in the oickup area already. it is not impossible that the pressure relief valve may be gummed up reducing pressure that operates that tensioner. Before getting involved too much more, maybe an external oil pressure check may be money well spent. With what that tells you, a more informed decision to stick or quit could be made.

Bad service history cars are sometimes cheaper for a reason, as usually people do not sell a perfectly good car unless they are trading up.

Hope you sort your problems bud, whichever route you take.

The Valve is built into the filter housing on the block, but you need to check the pressure before you mess with it as if it is within spec, you could well make matters worse. The valve should constantly operate during running, breaking pressure to prevent excessive hydraulic pressure in the lines.

If you don't know the pressure it is running at, you wont know if it is gummed partially closed or near fully open.

I suppose you could just clean it anyway, but without some kind of documented checking of items like this, you are essentially just guessing what is really wrong with your car. I have found that when I clutch at straws myself with something I haven't fully understood, it gets very expensive in the end, and I normally realise it was probably cheaper to get it initially checked properly in the first place. Our last washing machine springs to mind for this :wall:  - really should listen to my friends.