electric windows

jer

Hi again. Previously posted in Fab 1 but car is very late 2007 and seems to be Fab 2

Still got door card off and seeking solutions and seeking help please. Have bought and fitted new fuses and have thoroughly cleaned and silicone sprayed  the glass on both sides.

The only way to have working front electric windows is by taking fuses out for 30 minutes and then they both work a treat with engine running. whilst operating them I have played with the wires at all points including at the hinged point with the multiplug with the rubber boot pulled back. Will both work all day until I switch off engine and then neither work. Seems that something is resetting???. Can anyone please advise my next place to look. I would be grateful for any help. I have looked through many many posts but not found anything that has assisted me.

Edited by jer

Hi again. Previously posted in Fab 1 but car is very late 2007 and seems to be Fab 2

Still got door card off and seeking solutions and seeking help please. Have bought and fitted new fuses and have thoroughly cleaned and silicone sprayed  the glass on both sides.

The only way to have working front electric windows is by taking fuses out for 30 minutes and then they both work a treat with engine running. whilst operating them I have played with the wires at all points including at the hinged point with the multiplug with the rubber boot pulled back. Will both work all day until I switch off engine and then neither work. Seems that something is resetting???. Can anyone please advise my next place to look. I would be grateful for any help. I have looked through many many posts but not found anything that has assisted me.

Hi Jer, can you explain what the problem is that your having with your windows? I had a problem with my passenger window in that it wouldn't open when the car had been sitting in the sun (obviously we don't get too many of those days in the UK)  and got hot. Once it had cooled down it would open again. Could this be a factor?

Hi Tattyjay

My problem is no windows will work unless I do the "fuses out--wait--fuses in" exercise. Weather has not been a factor

.I have finished playing with the car for today but I have left all plugs off for the night having sprayed them with wd40 . I have also liberally sprayed the door lock with wd40 both sides as best I can without removing the lock from the door.

My understanding rightly or wrongly is that the passenger window is fed from the drivers door electrics---which of your front doors was full in the sun to cause the failure?

Hi Folks,  Been laid low with a stomach bug  hence delay in replying.  Ok clearly got the message that this 70 year old duffer should not have used WD40. Now please what can I use to clear up the problem--how to degrease the plugs??.

Anyway at least learnt a little more today--if the indicators flash when unlocking the car with key then the electric windows work ok. If the indicators flash when locking with key then the key can be held to operate the windows.  However if on unlocking the indicators do not flash then electric windows will not work!!   Does this indicate where the fault could lie??  Door lock perhaps?? Any assistance greatly appreciated--todays pension rates rule out the services of a garage.

Welcome back and hope everything is ok with the stomach, no offense intended by our comments we were simply suprised you didnt realise :) .

some electrical cleaning solvent should act fine as a degreaser and should also clean up the plugs nicely at the same time!

As far as the indicator thing, it sounds almost like the cars control system might wait to see the doors either unlocked / locked before the 'flash' of the indicators, i dont quite know the construction of the lock mechanisms on these im afraid so cannot say for sure, but i would assume there is a micro switch in the door lock mechanism which tells the car whether it is indeed unlocked, to theorise here, if this was true then should the mechanism inside the lock sometimes not make the switch then the car could assume that the doors are still locked when infact they are unlocked which might disable some electrical controls in the car. hope this doesnt ramble on too much and confuse you :p.

might be worth seeing if you can find a drawing of the mechanism somewhere on our friend 'google' and see if you can identify 'if / or where' the switch's output is located on the plug so you can test this theory :)

Hi to all.

Decided to try and find a used lock so can manage to run around with door card off till then. I did get some contact cleaner from Halfords and do a proper clean up of all plugs and pins but still same problems persist. Have used two mirrors and got the exact part numbers off the rear of the existing lock.One more question if I may please.

Prior to removing the lock mechanism do I have to remove the lock barrel?. I have removed the two plugs from door inner edge and there are two screws. If I remove these two will the barrel come out along with the black surrounding plastic cover? Thanks and sorry to keep coming back

• 2 weeks later...

More than puzzled now.  Spent Wednesday changing drivers door lock---put all fuses back in on completion and everything worked ok.

Four times in next five hours I unlocked car---all flashers worked--interior light worked----started engine and electric windows worked--locked car---all flashers worked.

Thursday morning exercise repeated and ditto--all great.

Full of confidence I fitted door card .and at teatime repeated previous exercise and all good

This morning unlocked car---no flashers and no interior light---started engine and no electric windows.

Removed fuses for two hours and on putting them back in all worked ok ---only to go back to square one after a run to the shops.

Am I frustrated or what!!!

Any advise where to look next very much appreciated