Fuel gauge stuck!

jonboyuk

Yesterday I drove 30 miles and my fuel gauge was just under half when I got home. Today I started the car up and it had moved 5º back to the middle so it was exactly on half again. I assumed it was just because of the tank settling over night or something. Today I drove another 30 miles and it hasn't budged one bit! The range readout which is usually fairly accurate, remained between 170/180 miles going up and down in increments of 5. Also the needle isn't stuck on the dash because it resets to 0 when I turn the car off.

Any ideas what might be causing this and what I might try to resolve it?

Thanks

J

Might be a faulty sender unit which is integral with the fuel pump. Quite easy to replace, access is gained from under the back seat.

Looks like this...

image.jpg

Cool thank you (again)!

- Can it be replaced without replacing the fuel pump?

- Where can I buy one (I checked ECP!)

- I take it I don't need to drain the tank to do this?

Thanks!

No probs :)

The fuel gauge sender is an integral part of the pump and as far as I know can't be replaced separately. 

You don't need to drain the tank.

New ones are pretty expensive. Lots of second hand ones on ebay though http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2059210.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xfabia+fuel+pump&_nkw=fabia+fuel+pump&_sacat=0

New Skoda one http://www.skodaparts.com/product/fabia-fuel-unit-2000-2012-35169

The part number is on top of the pump. Check yours matches the one you decide to buy before you buy it.

rsz_untitled.png

Bloody hell! Only 90% cheaper on eBay then!! I suppose it's worth taking it out, and refitting it first anyway (that fixes all sorts of PC issues haha). Failing that, I can swallow 20 quid to try and resolve it. Thanks man.

- I take it I don't need to drain the tank to do this?

Thanks!

you really need it approx. 1/4 full also be prepared to spill some and stink for weeks   I think you can just get the sender units the fine wires on the rheostat can give trouble and the "printed"  circuit board is either glass or ceramic and VERY brittle

Cool, of course the big problem is that without a readout I don't know when it's 1/4ish full!

Don't worry about it. Unless it's right near the top it doesn't matter.

Think I found a part number for just the sender 6Q0919673

Might be worth looking into.

with either a "D" or "E" suffix   don't know which  but that was for a diesel  you could put up the engine code and I will take another look    but you should check out the wiring first   

I suppose, if I do go for a £20 second hander....the actual pump may be in a worse condition than my own. Unless I extract the sender from the £20 one and replace it on my own.

I've had it before where I replace something of mine with second hand, and it fixes my issue but gives me another! Ugh - my car loves my bank account.

Hahah J306TD...that had crossed my mind!! Are you referring to the cables connected directly to the fuel pump? As in just take them out and reconnect them? Or check there's no corrosion...etc?