Octavia vRS CR TDI Just Stopped

This morning I drove my vRS out of the garage about 10 metres and parked it at the end of the drive, while I spent an hour cleaning out the garage.

I then started the car again and proceeded to reverse back into the garage. About halfway the car gave a cough and a splutter and stalled.

I tried to restart but it wont have it, it just coughs and splutters without even trying to catch.

I noticed when I try to start it that the DPF light comes on but goes out after a second or so, this might be normal but dont recall ever noticing it before.

I did a VCDS scan with only one fault and I dont think its related but I will post the result anyway ( Car has sat in garage for 2 weeks unused so battery may be low as had this happen before ).

So with no VCDS codes to go by I am a little stumped as where to start, so any help would be really appreciated. Car has DSG if it makes a difference?

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519)       Labels: 1K0-937-08x-09.clb
   Part No SW: 1K0 937 087 D    HW: 1K0 937 087 D
   Component: BCM PQ35  H   103 0537  
   Revision: 00103 AC    
   Coding: 46180AB8F00508C040080080110011E4037000AE626D8560E40440040000
   Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00999
   VCID: 326F1EFBD6EF

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1Z1 955 119 C
   Component: Wischer 25050  22  0601
   Coding: 00D7B7

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 1K0 955 559 AH
   Component: RLS 260509 05  54  0402
   Coding: 0730ED

1 Fault Found:
00907 - Intervention load Management
            000 -  -
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 01100000
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 179
                    Mileage: 136946 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2125.14.05
                    Time: 12:12:28

Freeze Frame:
                        Term 15 On
                    Voltage: 11.95 V
                        ON
                        ON
                        Term 50 Off
                        OFF
                        OFF

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, a duff battery!

The DPF light is normal.

From RossTech:

00907 - Intervention Load Management Possible Symptoms
  • Function Restrictions
Possible Causes
  • Low Battery Voltage
  • Battery Faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Battery Voltage
    • Charge Battery
  • Check/Replace Battery
  • Check Generator
  • Clear Fault Code(s)
Special Notes
  • At some point, the Battery Monitor requested the Cent. Elect. controller shed some load to ensure that the vehicle would still start. This is not a "fault" but more an "advisory" code. If you leave lights on or doors open or the ignition on for any length of time, the Battery Monitor will request various systems to power things down rather than letting the batter get discharged too much. Clear fault and check later to see if it reappears. Attach a battery charger if you plan to operate electrical systems in the car for extended periods without the engine running.
  • Like 1

There have been some very, very strange symptoms of a tired or failing batteries on the MkII Octavia.

Whilst your particular issue is a new one on me I'm pretty sure a new £80 battery will be the cheapest starting point.

The fact the battery has been flat before suggests to me it is already weak or has been weakened in the past.

Well I thought before splashing on a Battery, I would try to start it on a Jump Pack.

After a few cranks it started, ran rough for a few seconds so I revved it up a bit and it started ticking over normally.

Switched it off and removed jump pack and it started again without a problem.

I now have the battery on charge as a temporary measure, but will definately replace it if the problem is solved.

Thanks for the help, I would never have thought a dieing battery could cause the car to stall like that. You live and learn.

Thanks again

• Like 1

These days a duff/failing battery can cause a lot of issues. Think how many sensors are needed for a car to even run these days and all need pretty much uninterrupted voltage. An important sensor might not get the correct voltage because the alternator is struggling to even recharge the failing battery let alone keep all the systems going.

• Like 1