yellow oil can flashing 3 times

Guys, whilst traveling back up the A1 from Leeds yesterday, the yellow oil can flashed at me 3 times and then went out, no beeping

i pulled off at the next slip road and stopped the engine, using just the ignition on it happened again so i topped up with some oil and it stopped flashing

looking at the book it suggests oil sensor but if thats the case why did it stop after topping up

for the record its only been 788 miles since its service :(

booked in for Tuesday but i bet they find nothing

Did you get a Warning Beep as well  See page 29  / 30 Owners Manual

If the Oil Light  'Yellow',  Low Oil or Warning Message Shows it could need as much as 1.5 Litres in.  Even 2 litres.

But do not overfill.

There is a Red Low Oil Pressure light after the Yellow.

Read the Owners Manual on the Bonnet Being Open after a 'Yellow Low Oil Light'. Page 30.

The warning light goes out if the Bonnet is open for more than 30 Seconds.

If no oil is put in, the 'Warning Light comes on again after driving about 100 km.  

THATS WHAT IT SAYS.  YOU WOULD HOPE IT IS ON QUICKER THAN THAT.

• Like 2

I understand that.

Just pointing out what the Manual says.

Did you check the level after it was serviced to see how much oil they put in, and they put in the correct amount?

Did it get 5w 30,  VW 504 00 Long life Oil at the service?

& when did you last do an Oil Check was that 788 miles ago.?

& is this the new engine,

how many miles since it was fitted,

because as they say.   May use more oil in the first 5,000 km.  Even though many do not, you still need to check.

george

As above just needs a top up. When it starts to get slightly low the light will come on intermittently and sometimes flash. Then when it gets abit lower still the light will be on permanently. If it gets even lower it will then turn red.....you don't want that lol.

• Like 1

@ George its 15k since engine replacement and the oil level appeared nearly full on the stick @ normal op temp after its service, has been checked in between the service and now and had some on the stick each time but as we know its pretty random at best when checking this oil even if you follow the same procedure all the time, if i have some on the stick i leave it be

@ sharky, yes but they say im only using 0.49 ltr per 1000k, convenient wouldn't you say

in the past ive had the 'check oil level' message on the maxidot but NEVER this oil can flashing at me, ive been away again for last 2 days so not had chance to check anything, ill try it again tomz

its the fact it was flashing that worries me, if its the oil sensor then why did it stop flashing when i topped up and if it was the oil level then why did it flash, looking at the handbook it should stay on if its the level

confused.com

no i always get to normal op temp ( approx 90c) , park in the same place give or take an inch and wait 5 minutes, if i get upto half way i leave it, i only top up when its at the bottom using 0.5 ltr max

i use same method so hopefully i eliminate discrepancies

but the main point of my post was the flashing yellow oil symbol, in my book it suggests oil sensor yet i cant understand why adding oil stops it flashing, (constant yellow = oil level) and if the sensor is faulty why is it not flashing now after adding some oil??? could this just be another case of poor translation in the book and it does indeed just mean low oil level?

i wasn't in my usual place to check, just off a slip road on the A1 was best i could do but trying the usual wait 5 minutes i had nothing on the stick, ive not used the car since so not been able to check, ill do that in the morning

but surely a faulty oil sensor ( if that's what the flashing suggests ) isn't measuring the amount of oil or am i missing something here

Edited by the mad monk

i mentioned id topped up in first post but didnt say id checked, forgot to add that till later posts

i put in 0.5 as thats all i had in the boot and when i got home friday it was dark and then i went away early sat so ive not been out in it since to warm it up and check

the place where i checked wasn't ideal and wasn't exactly flat but not on a hill either, i was just off the motorway in a strange place so i didnt want to drive around finding a better spot.

i just find it odd that a faulty sensor can be fixed by adding oil, this is why i ask is it a translation issue with the book and flashing actually could just mean low oil too

It is only going to be a faulty sensor if you had enough oil in. Otherwise it is a sensor that did the job of warning you if a low oil level. The owners manual from 2010 is not 1.4 tsi specific. It is a general thing. You have a refurbished engine i imagine. Or with different parts from the original CAVE.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

my letter just says 'i had an engine replacement at 12k miles' no mention of it being new or refurbed

ill see what they say on Tuesday, im going off the book and this is where the problems often arise with translated things or generic books, they need to be model specific

still 788 miles from a service to low oil/oil sensor is crap and must only be getting worse from the last oil consumption test, car shopping tommorow