Mence

Hi all.

Currently running a year old Octy vRS Combi, which is good, no problems.

While the wife is rather keen on the new Fabia Combi when it emerges, I'm having a look at a Superb Combi.

Although by no means certain, I have been considering a facelift one, few months old with all the toys. With the new shape one on the horizon, it is likely you should be able to pick up a really nice one for relatively little money.

Waffle over, here's the question.

Has anybody made the transition from an Octy Combi to a Superb Combi and does it feel that much larger to drive and park?

Secondly, how does the 170 DSG perform in the bigger body?

Thanks all.

Just ordered one - going from an Octavia combi to superb combi - in the test drive it actually didn't feel much difference- I would see if you can book a test drive.

As for DSG, I've gone for manual - as the difference in road tax and fuel economy were much bigger - although you'll find a lot of the stock cars are DSG - I think Skoda just do that to flood the market.

I cant fully comment, but this is my experience:

I used to have a lovely 205k 2003 octavia combi tdi 110 which i loved to bits, after 5 years of ownership and an (almost) blank cheque to go and buy a new company car with i knew that i was headed towards the skoda dealership. Now i am not going to lie at all here, for work i carry a lot of equipment, and was worried that the octavia was going to be too small, but any way i tried it out... (and i am sorry if you have the current shape octavia) but i didnt feel that the VAG quality i had come to know and trust was no longer there.. :( i thought that i would try the superb anyway and see how i would get on (i dont like the fornt end on the pre2013) I fell in love. i now have a 2013 2.0 tdi 170 DSG superb elegance in beige (im 25 and i have pre ordered my pipe and slippers :p )

Sometimes when trying to slot it in to the small spaces that i find at small engineering firms, i find the front and rear parking sensors useful (dont bother with park assist (i.e. with side sensors and the fact it can park itself) the side sensors are over sensitive, and the fact it can park itself is 1 massive gimmick which i never use) just go for the front sensors i was worried about pranging it.... and as you are going for the DSG, try and go for the 3 spoke flappy paddle steering wheel, nicer to hold....

But that is my experience

Good luck :)

P.s. beige was the head colour.... never really looks that dirty, the petrol blue was my heart choice...

Edited by dieseldawg

Regarding parking - in fact size difference is not that big. Superb Combi is longer by 174 mm, but Octavia is wider (including mirrors) by 8 mm. So in reality you won't find major difference. 

Regarding performance - I myself was worried about, because I moved to Superb from a car with 225 HP / 460 Nm. I don't know how they did it, but I can hardly feel any difference. Yes when overtaking I have to be more cautios, because with 460 Nm it was easier. But otherwise it seems that acceleration 0-60 km/h is on par with more powerful cars. 

If performance you are after - I would recommend DSG. It saves time. 

4x4 is another good thing - yes it adds some weight, but also ads weight balance to the car and no wheel spin on any surfaces. 

Here's some acceleration videos of my car: