Octavia Locking System Query...

iriches

I've just got a 01Y 1.9 TDI Octavia Elegance hatch.

This is my first car with remote keyless entry, and I was slightly confused to see it lock itself today. Reading the manual, I see this is totally normal, with the manual stating:

"If the car is unlocked without the doors being opened...the car is automatically locked again after 30 seconds."

However, mine also does this if I unlock the car, open the driver's door and then fail to close it within 30s. In this case, it locks all doors except the open drivers door (which it apperas to try and lock). This happenned today when I was showing a friend the car.

Is this behaviour totally normal? Or have I got a sensor or something borked?

Thanks,

Ian

Yep...seems to be a sensor problem on the door.

Opening the driver's door does not make the tell-tale warning light on the dash come on. Opening the passenger's door does.

If I open the car, sit in it, shut the door and wait for the interior light to go off, opening the driver's door does not make it come on again. Opening the passenger door does.

Looks like I need a new switch/sensor/connector thingy.

Thanks for the help.

Ian