Ibiza 1.2 TSI DSG or Picanto 1.25 Automatic ?

rafi_arch

Although there might be an obvious answer, I would appreciate your opinions.

Major points of interest: DSG vs Automatic.  Is 4 airbags (front only) vs 6 (4 front + 2 curtains) an issue ? 

The car is for my daughter.

I personally would go for the Ibiza.

My main reasoning would be more power, more torque, more gears (probably higher geared for motorway), faster gear changes, larger fuel tank, bigger car, and better looking.

Kia:

Ibiza:

Phil

• Like 1

The Ibiza is actually slightly more economical. The kia has a mixed economy of 50mpg and with it tiny fuel tank of 35 litres won't give many miles per tank!

Something about the 4 speed auto box just doesn't sit right either. They're clearly using up their old gearbox stock instead of developing new ones.

Phil

The 4 speed automatic in the Picanto is actually OK, i had one for 7 years until a few months ago. Picanto 1.1 LX 68 bhp.

Now it is the DSG DQ200 that has been subject to Service Campaigns due to failures in Many World Regions,

but obviously VW have the Correct oil in now from the Factory.  

Well you would hope so!!

Usual advice, drive both, see which you like. Build quality of the Kia has come on leaps and bounds but it's the smaller car of the two. Might be cheaper to insure but you'd have to check that yourself.

Another thing with the Picanto is,

it drives about the nearest thing to an Original Mini as you can get,

but is modern with Air Bags, and discs all round, and steering that takes the car around corners rather well.

Not even sure if the Ibiza has discs on the rear, and then it has the less than precise steering.

So driving both is rather important.

Is it in Israel the car is being bought?

Yes. Both cars new from official importers.

Don't understand your comment about "less than precise steering".

Test drove it yesterday: 

Traction / acceleration looks familiar and slightly better than Yeti (Ibiza weights ~200 Kg less than Yeti).

Also steering feels familiar but slightly lighter than Yeti's, perhaps because the lighter body. Anyway didn't notice

steering issues.

As the car will be new (45 days wait) I'm sure the DSG will have the correct hydraulic fluid.

Edited by rafi_arch

Just that they are a bit wooly in steering IME,

but that is maybe just some Ibiza models. 

I expect the steering is lighter because of the Steering Assist Setting and tyres fitted,

which has some feeling wooly and not very precise.

The Picanto are pretty Go Kart like.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Yes. Both cars new from official importers.

Don't understand your comment about "less than precise steering".

Test drove it yesterday:

Traction / acceleration looks familiar and slightly better than Yeti (Ibiza weights ~200 Kg less than Yeti).

Also steering feels familiar but slightly lighter than Yeti's, perhaps because the lighter body. Anyway didn't notice

steering issues.

As the car will be new (45 days wait) I'm sure the DSG will have the correct hydraulic fluid.

It is possible to change the steering settings via vcds. You can make it lighter, heavier, vrs setting (probably FR on the ibiza)

Dont expect it to make massive differences though.

Thanks for the link.

Reading made me more confident about DSG issue being solved. When VW says "hot and humid climates" I'm sure they also refer to Israel.

My daughter just ordered the 1.2 TSI DSG Ibiza yesterday afternoon.

The Yeti will have a sister...