Central Locking Problems

Mine has gone back together fine, u need to take screws out of grab handle,and behind window switch then hold ur breath and pull the card it will snap the clips but easily replaced and designed for this situation,then get ur hand in back of door card and find screw holding white pannel to the handle undo that with small screwdriver, and then remove the polystyrene and then prize the whit pannel from the rest (held on by glue),slide it out and then u have easy access to plugs that cause this problem. Hopefully u can fix and open ur door then put pannel back together

Electrical contact cleaner or wd40 to displace any moisture and wire brush but disconnect battery if going to wire brush, then i can test what signal goin to the plug for module and then test signal at lock mech plug

• 1 month later...

Finally got my door card off and took a look at the pins and connections and they look brand new.

Any ideas what it could be now?

If its the main control module where is it located?

Do you mean the one that's in with the window motor that the multi plug connects to? Can get used ones if you're lucky but if the part number doesn't match exactly I think they need coding with the ecu. Other than that I reckon you need to check through loom with multimeter. Your interior light issue could be down to the door lock microswitch and a separate issue, or the switch could be fine and signal is lost somewhere between module and light (within the loom). I swapped my door lock mech the other day wasn't too bad. Fixed my interior, door light and lights on buzzer intermittent fault. It's sounding like wiring issues to me but if you find a used window motor could be an easy fix, but don't be surprised if problem still persists.

Yeah the big multi plug that connects to the window motor. I was thinking it may be the convenience unit under the steering wheel area. I'm not too bothered about the interior light yet until i get my door opened.

Don't know if you'll find this useful for future prevention

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/336309-how-to-check-and-protect-your-door-multiplugs/

There is also a sticky on replacing door microswitch which includes removing lock mech. I found the hardest bits of that getting the lock barrel out and maneuvering the mech out of the door. Other than that is dead easy.

I've just looked back at your vcds code, I think I'd be tempted to try a used window motor/module in passenger side, but also check wiring more thoroughly and go round each door as per the above guide. My front passenger door intermittently wouldn't lock but I got into the door and lubed the hell out of it, been fine since. Sticky catches could be part of the problem. It's a tricky one and I think you'll have to get yourself a checklist and work through it.

1 check wiring

2 check and protect all door catches and multi plugs

3 source and try used window motors front doors (probably try passenger first where vcds logged code). Buying new would be less hassle but twice the price.

1 and 2 very cheap to do, maybe an auto sparky would come in handy to help check through the system.

3 there are some around, try e bay and breaker yard . com, as I said though the modules are year specific I think so last initial of part number should be the same or they need coding.

I do sympathise with your problem, especially in this weather. Hope you get it sorted.

Get amongst the passenger door as well and check that unit and lube lock mech.

Does your drivers door still only open with external handle? Cables ok? Make sure the plastic nipple is tucked right in behind cable hook in the handle housing.

Doors not unlocking or locking with fob could be sticky mechanisms. As I said above I'd cover all bases with inspection/lubrication/protection, all cheap to do, see what problems you're left with and take it from there. Has the list of problems reduced at all yet? What are you left with now?

Yeah external handle opens the drivers door.

I got a window motor for the drivers side but when i connected it up, it only put the drivers window up and down. I couldn't put any other windows down from the drivers controls. So i don't know if i need to program it to the car.

Yeah external handle opens the drivers door.

I got a window motor for the drivers side but when i connected it up, it only put the drivers window up and down. I couldn't put any other windows down from the drivers controls. So i don't know if i need to program it to the car.

Yeah I think they're year specific so if the last initial of part number is different it needs calibrating with vcds I believe. Are you sure the door handle cable is all good and located properly? May be a silly question but if the nipple isn't in the stop right it would stop the inner handle working. Check it's connection at the mech end, you can fit replacements, if you need a cable I could get the one off my spare lock mech for you.

Right update......

ive opened mine but not nicely lol.

Got door card apart and then took 2 small torx screws ot of the lock mech casing then prized it open but couldnt see much. Then got angry and ripped all i could out of it and then kept trying to open door and bang door opened. I now have to open and lock it manually but it works for time being lol

Right update......

ive opened mine but not nicely lol.

Got door card apart and then took 2 small torx screws ot of the lock mech casing then prized it open but couldnt see much. Then got angry and ripped all i could out of it and then kept trying to open door and bang door opened. I now have to open and lock it manually but it works for time being lol

Was yours the deadlocked door, yeah? At least it's semi working now, may get you through winter.