A result (not) lowering springs

Thought I was onto a winner, spotted these and was going to bid...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281515539130?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

But on closer inspection, part number on the spring is 29438, which is for S3, TT, R32...Part number required for Octy VRS with 20mm drop is 29124?  Hmmmmmm, won't work will they?  Well, they'd 'work', but might not be very nice.  Can see in the listing that they have come off a VRS, so guy obviously thinks they're gen and he does seem like a genuine chap.  Will message to inform him I think.

Yeah was a bit gutted, been looking to get some for uprated dampers. I don't think he's long had the car they're from, previous owner had them on for nearly a year and this guy for a few months. He reckons they were ok but I think I'll pass.

The only options for vRS are genuine standard and H&R. Nobody else makes any anymore that are correctly rated for the vRS any more and if you buy cheap springs I guarantee that it will sit higher than yiu expect and bounce like a bitch. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

I'm looking at H&R because their VRS ones drop 20mm, which is perfect for what I want. H&R also seem to be the most targeted to the 1u VRS. Could go adjustables but it looks like a lot of them drop 30mm minimum, a bit scared doing that with the lanes round my way. I'm in a bit of a quandary myself at the moment, think I'm looking at uprated dampers like sachs or Monroe or similar with H&R springs. There are some good spring and damper kits out there though and some budget ones like FK and AP don't look too bad, if only I get brave enough to drop that low. Problem is I think it would mean dropping the front by at least 35-40mm so the car can be a bit nose down. Until I can get dampers, I wont bother lowering, as it is I'm taking steps to improve handling, I've done the upper front strut brace, got lower one to go on and I'm getting a whiteline rarb for Xmas.

You may have more options but I think the problem remains of fitting lowering springs to standard shocks, which are a bit too soft to cope with the compression and rebound the springs require to work properly. Lower springs will change the compression rate but its unlikely to be enough. This is why I'm not doing mine until I can do the lot and for now I'm just trying to get the body roll out of it. Its important I retain a bit of comfort with where I live and having a partner who makes noises when the turbo comes in and having kids in the back.

Having been there and done it i honestly wouldn't recommend using lowering springs with the standard shocks. I went that way but with new standard shocks and they couldn't control the rebound at all. The car looked ace but honestly the ride was awful. Definately h&r springs but not with standard shocks!!

Having been there and done it i honestly wouldn't recommend using lowering springs with the standard shocks. I went that way but with new standard shocks and they couldn't control the rebound at all. The car looked ace but honestly the ride was awful. Definately h&r springs but not with standard shocks!!

I agree with this totally. The standard shocks aren't great at the best of times and they just do not respond well to lowering, and from what many say do not last long either when lowered.