Sloppy gearbox

Sloppy asin the gearstick being sloppy and vague?

This can be fixed by new linkage bushes o beleieve and info can be found with abit of a search on here (never needed it myself)

Or sloppy asin on and off the throttle asin transmission slack? This can be sorted by putting new engine bushes in and checking driveshafts for play

No problems actually driving it. It feels really loose when changing, there seems to be alot of play. It doesn't vibrate excessively when stationary etc. It feels like you could easily pop it out of heat without the clutch. You can't as I did try that!!!

Ermmm .....

slack in transmission or slack in the gearstick ??????

Asfor taking it out of gear without clutch... that doesnt say if the box is good or not. To take a car out of gear without clutch just use a neutral throttle position (not loading the gearbox or overrunning it) and it will simply pull straight out.

Edit add on;

I am presuming you mean loose gearstick? This cna be fixed with new or uprated gear linkage bushes. Simple but fiddly I believe but havnt done it myself.

Main parts to look for are:

*is it chattering when your ticking over foot off clutch in neutral.(new flywheel needed)

*and bad whines while driving under loads or overun (gearbox beaings starting to wear or gears wearing)

*does it change up and down the box ok without grinding atall. You can also try skipping few gears to help test. Like 6.4.2 obviously be doing an appropriate speed to allpw fpr skipping gears or you may have to buy a broken car haha (if it does grind the syncros are worn. May require new gearbox in future orrr just an oil change)

Edited by fletch101

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fletch 

Wondering if you could help me. 

I have recently went to do a gear selector adjustment, I have followed a very good video link adapting it for the Fabia as they are opposing sides. I am unable to complete the job due to the gear selection adjuster, which I will replace and for good measure the height adjuster too. The selector plate is very loose which would lead me to believe there is a bush worn in the center of it. This is however where I am stuck. I cannot find the name of the part to see if I can source one.

The gearbox beforehand was only just grasping 2nd, 4th & 6th with all of the rest engaging fine. After the job of adjusting was done it just grasps 1st, 3rd & 5th and reverse whilst the rest engage fine. This would lead me to think that the gear adjuster is done and the bushes would need done too. 

Also wondering if you knew where or if there is a locking pin on the gearbox itself? Cant seem to find it. Someone said it was around three o'clock looking at the top of the selector plate but can't feel or see it.

If you could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.  

Thanks again

Sorry. Ive never had to do this myself unfortunately :(

I will have a look on mine later and see if I can figure a plan out for you. If I get chance too look later Ill have a look around the net and see if ican find anything.

I plan on doing alll the suspension bushes and gear linkage bushes in the nearish future. When I have a ncie workspace to strip and work on it over a few days

Not seeing one before. Just a suggestion from working on other vehicles. Could you set the adjustment up by feel. Without the locking tool. Sound like when youve adjusted the linkage. You have went alittle too far. Somewhere between original and the position you have now will be better

get somone to sit in car and push the gearstick from 3to4 gear so you know which rod to adjust. Then with the clamp mechanism undone. Try getring them to push the gearstick towards 3rd ALITTLE BIT probly half a centimeter at a rough guess.

Just note that's a rough idea of what id try from past experiences with other cars. But never done on a fabia so dont hold me to it. The worst that can happen is you end up at square one lol

Thanks for the reply fletch. That was what I ended up doing to get it back on the road and it is gradually getting worse which would confirm the adjuster being broken. So I have asked about and my friend who is a mechanic has said I would be as well as dropping the gearbox out and putting it in to a transmission shop (a friend of a friend) to get them to look at it and fix it. Unless I can get this part that is my only option. Should cost around 300 to 400 depending on the issue. When I speak to the guy doing the box I will ask what the part is called for you.

Thanks again for the reply. Good luck with the jobs lol