Clutch / Fly Wheel / Gearbox Woes - need to make a decision!

JohnBoyMinster

Hi all

Long time lurker - haven't posted in a while!

I'm in a quandry and i'm hoping you can help me decide what to do. I've just bought an 2002 A4 1.9tdi as a work runner, got it very cheap (£950) as it was quite neglected and needed some simple faults fixed and some general maintenance, which has set me back only £250 to put right.

The final job on the list is the clutch and DMF flywheel BUT the gear box has a crunch when cold to warm from 1st to 2nd gear only (probably the synchro). I've read that that the clutch / flywheel needing doing could exascerbate(sp?) the crunch and be making it worse... Do i...;

Change the clutch, flywheel and gearbox fluid and hope the crunch calms down?

Just get a used but guarenteed gear box as well and bite the bullet?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Edited by JohnBoyMinster

I had a 1st to 2nd gear crunch on my old car (Seat Cordoba PD130). A gear oil change didn't help.

The gearbox completely broke in the end and we needed to get a reconditioned box as it was beyond repair.

That's the worst case scenario.

Best case is that changing the gear oil solves it (as it does for many).

Phil

• Like 1

Thanks Phil - that's good advice i suppose the worst thing that could happen is that i'd need to get the box recon'd or changed.

I wonder if the clutch / fly wheel would be effected if the gearbox broke completely?

Maybe or maybe not.

It would depend to what extent the gearbox failed.

If it was a complete failure leading to it seizing while driving it could cause clutch/flywheel damage.

Our failure resulted in a very loud knocking noise while driving that went away with the clutch pressed. We had warning and it didn't go bang luckily.

Another thing to try is to adjust the gear linkage.

And also another common problem is with the linkage inside the box. The selector forks become loose causing 1st to 2nd difficulties.

I'd try the gear linkage and gear oil first then go from there.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...