120 five estelle cutting out on idle

wambobby

hi, my 120 five stelly wont idle, it was running fine then just failed to idle, runs fine under throttle and holds steady under throttle.

i'm suspecting the carb, either blockage or there is a solanoid on the carb that i'm not sure what it does or what the symptoms are if that fails

i have checked and changed the points etc but they are fine

also could there be an electrical problem that would also cause this, coil or balast?

thanks

the carb solanoid does click when the ignition is switched on so probably not that?

Edited by wambobby

Have you checked/adjusted the 2 idle adjuster screws? Could be the O-rings round them have gone. The solenoid doesn't have anything to do with the idle and if it runs on throttle then it's not going to be the ignition either. Air leak would be my first choice....hence my mention of the o rings and adjusters. Either that or a blockage....

Edited by hawkeracing

no luck as yet, stripped the carb and rebuilt it, i dont know that much about them, blew it out with an airline, still the same.

could there be anything in the distributor body tht might be really worn out, or a case of if it runs on throttle the dizzy is ok

Edited by wambobby

Sorted!

changed the carb for another i had, (jerrys bananas where that came from), and it ran first time and idled fine, i'm thinking it is the carb from an old 136 rapid that i bought as a breaker along time ago,

so as i was checking the carb for any fuel leaks i saw a grub screw bouncing around on the top of the engine, looking at the old carb it seems to have come from the right hand side about "11 oclock" to the diafram body on that side,

i will but it back if and try it one day but i will need a new or s/hand air? adjuster screw (smaller of the two) as i buggered the o ring thinking i could put a regular one on it.

gonna need to get in touch with Paul for a supply of service parts once the xmas parcel backlog has gone.

thanks for the quick response hawkeracing

Edited by wambobby

There isn't anyone in the UK now - there is stuff on Ebay still and Skopart.de supply stuff from Germany - a few places in CZ will post to the UK now too. You need to join the owners club Facebook site......that's where most of the old Skoda people seem to be - lots of contacts abroad as well.

• 1 month later...

The solenoid doesn't have anything to do with the idle

I'm pretty sure it does, It's an anti run-on solenoid. I remember that if you pull the wire off it whilst the engine is idling it will cut out.  In other words, if it fails in the closed position, the engine won't idle.

Edited by TMB

I'm pretty sure it does, It's an anti run-on solenoid. I remember that if you pull the wire off it whilst the engine is idling it will cut out.  In other words, if it fails in the closed position, the engine won't idle.

You're right it is an anti run on solenoid......I have no idea what I was talking about! However it wasn't the problem...

You're right it is an anti run on solenoid......I have no idea what I was talking about! However it wasn't the problem...

Yeah, it wasn't the problem. Just wanted to clear up what the solenoid does :)

• 3 weeks later...

There isn't anyone in the UK now - there is stuff on Ebay still and Skopart.de supply stuff from Germany - a few places in CZ will post to the UK now too. You need to join the owners club Facebook site......that's where most of the old Skoda people seem to be - lots of contacts abroad as well.

That's a real shame and a depressing sign of the times. Running two Estelles I used Paul and he supplied body parts and other needed items with good service however if the UK has no supplier at all it kind of looks bleak for the future. The Jorily eBay site was too good to last I suppose.