Rear console bushes?

kedw200

Hi all,

Been having problems with the dreaded creaky squeaky sound from the front drivers wheel of my fabia, and all signs seem to be pointing to it being a knackered rear console bush that needs replacing. However, despite having had my warped discs changed a few months back, the steering wheel now seems to be wobbling again when braking from 40+ mph.... This was what led me to getting the discs done last time.

I have spoken to my uncle who changed the discs for me last time (retired bus and lorry mechanic of 30+ years) and he said that he wonders if a knackered console bush could be causing this new wheel wobble under braking due to a loose suspension assembly from the worn bush? Also, how does one check for certain whether the console bushes need doing? I don't want to have them done and find out that something else is wrong, or that they don't need doing in the first place... The car has been hacking of off lately as lots of little things all seem to need doing at once. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give...

Pk.

Sounds like you have warped your discs again. Warping discs is drivers fault not a natural fault most of the time.

If the wheel wobble under braking went away for a period then come back. You have warped them again

Bad condition console bushes will cause the wheel to pull to one side under braking. (As the wheel pulls the swing arm towards rear of car under braking it alters the ache of the steering wheel making the vehicle turn)

But if your changing your console bushes anyway. I advise wd40 and too use either polibush or seat bushes. Polibushes push in by hand :)

Sounds like warped discs again what qaulity discs did you buy? As for the bushes If your changing them as fetch101 said use poly bushes or seat ones or even standard Audi a2 bushes both the seat and Audi ones are solid rubber.

Ah no! How could I have warped the discs again though? They were good quality ones, and plus I made double sure to not brake harshly and hold the brakes down (when coming off the motorway for example) as I am aware how this can lead hot pads to be squeezed onto the discs and thus warp them... 

Yeah, will be using polybushes as a replacement after reading what people have said about them. Any ideas on best place to buy from?

Parking up quickly after allot of braking. Or (just a note. Not saying you are) some people follow cars too close and seem to be constantly braking. Even when the car ahead is going one speed. They follow. Brake power. Brake power brake power if your doing that. Your breaks will get stupid hot. Even in towns.

do you live or work in a hilly area? Coming down a hill before parking up?

You dont have to be holding the brake pedal to warp discs when hot. If you simply stop and release the brakes. You will still warp them as the pad is always in contact. Causing uneven heat disapation

Did your uncle clean off the ruse before fitting new discs? Alittle bit of rust on hub can make disc sot unevenly making it give the warp effect.

Could be a bad batch of discs???

all of the above are possible ideas. None of them could be true. Could be a binding caliper making a pad stick slightly as you drive. Causing heat to build up. And when you stop. It caught in one place.

May have thrown more questions than answers. But worth looking into. You can always take wheel off and get it put into gear with both front wheels off. Amd use soemthibg like a pen or pencil. And hold against caliper(to hold steady) then point the tip on the surface of the brake disc. You will see if its distorted straight away. Hold the tip a fraction from the spinning disc and see the the gap stays the same or occoletes slightly. It should stay the same

note. Dont put your fingers where they can get trapped. Use first gear. Make sure both front wheels are off