1st Gen Octavia estate vs Fabia estate? Advice needed

John13

Hi everyone, 

I have done a bit of searching to try to find out which would be the better car to go for, could not find much so thought I would ask here.

I have just moved to Ireland from London, now live in a rural area and want to buy a used Skoda estate. I only have around £1500 to spend so would be going for 1st Generation models I would think.

My possibly annoying/boring question is this; 

Which would be the better model to go for and why?

Let's say they are the same reg and milage. I am trying to find out the big differences/bad points to know between the two.

Road tax is quite expensive here so would prefer a smaller engine, preferably 1.4, 1.6 at the largest.

I've found more Octavias for sale here than Fabias, but also Fabias seem cheaper for some reason and i'm not really sure the various reasons. 

I understand there are many variables but as a complete new buyer I thought to ask.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John