Wheel wobble

Ok bit of a long story, but at certain speeds (about 50mph and 70mph) I get a wurring noise from what I think is the wheels. I've had it before and when I got new tires/tracking on all 4 corners it stopped, so I thought it was this again. I took it to a local national garage and of course it's not just the tracking that needs doing. They tried to tell me that my passenger swearing rod needed replacing and showed me that the wheel had a bit of play in it. And by bit I mean the smallest bit possible.

Now, should wheels have a little wobble, I'm getting no feedback in the steering wheel at all which makes me think they are talking BS and getting the tracking done will fix the notice.

Thanks in advance.

There should only be very slight play and I mean VERY SlIGHT

Best way to check for me has been jack car up from suspect wheel try wobble side to side and then up an down if there is a noticeable difference from one wheel compared to opposite side wheel then the one with play needs attention

There should be absolutely no play in a wheel, and this does not mean that the wheel bearings will have been overtightened. These are precision components (or should be) and any play relates to loose bearings, the same way as a  juddering steering wheel would probably be cause by out of true brake discs.

If you read the specs in the handbook they should give the torque settings for the hub nut, which allows for grease etc. If you can detect movement by rocking the wheel, then the hub nut needs nipping up a bit.