Spring lengths

I'm having no luck in the archives of either forum, does anyone know what the difference in length is between a 120 rear spring and a 130 one?

I've got a lowering kit from Speedpro but it has 130 springs obviously, if i know the reduction in length required i can have the rears i need made up using the ones i've got for guideline spring rates. Unfortunately 130 top mounts, which would also solve the problem, are not available anywhere. Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Found some sort of answer lurking in the bowels of the other forum way at the back. Estimates on the difference in length vary from 20mm to 3ins, but the lever action on the spring is different aswell apparently so it's irrelevant. I'm going down the experimentation route; i'm ordering another set of springs from Speedpro as the front is still 10-20mm too high and needs dropping further so i need examples to have some made from. The rear is sagging a bit and the shafts are about level so any lowering will run the bearings dry, i need to stiffen but stay fairly level which will mean chopping and re-flattening the end of the 130 springs.

Edited by mr brightside

You might be better spending your money on getting the semi trailling rear set up which handles better as standard anyway and does away with the bearing lubrication issue.....I would imagine by the time you have spent the money you are going to on Speedpro springs plus having custom ones made in this country you could have bought a whole 130 and transferred over the rear end. You need the Speedpro track springs on the front end which are -60mm and will also be too soft. I used a pair a few years back to have custom springs made. The only problem being that you can't really run a roll bar because you need to add so many spacers the bar catches on everything.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but you really need to join Facebook and go to the Skoda Owners site and Old Skoda owners site....you really are virtually talking to yourself on here when it comes what you're doing.

130s come up on ebay now and again, and they're not always cars i'd be comfortable cannibalising. I'm on the lookout for a full back end, but it's a hell of a job to do on your drive with hand tools and a jack especially when the car is a daily driver. I'm fine hanging on for the right donor car and in the meantime i've got my engine to keep going with. Week off work next week- Grp A valves in and head chambers to volumetrically balance. I could do with a link to the old skoda owners site, i'm on FB so is it a group?

Is it your only car?! I think you're brave doing what your doing if it is....unless of course you can just walk to work if need be! The other advantage of a 130 is you get the 4 pot front brakes....there's a 130 in Kent that's ripe for breaking on fleabay at the minute, however if you have no garage and you need to keep your car on the road then it is probably a step too far.