Reverse light switch problem 2007 Octavia 4x4 estate

Hello, 

I've been searching for a solution and haven't quite found what i need, so thought i'd ask for some help/advice. The reverse lights on my 2007 octavia 4x4 estate have stopped working. They were working normally, but then I noticed a while ago that the reverse lights only came on when i lifted the clutch, and went out when depressing the clutch pedal (so when reversing in the dark i could effectively only see behind when car was moving). Now the reverse lights have stopped working altogether (bulbs are ok).

After doing a bit of searching, i am thinking it is a faulty reverse light switch, or faulty wire going to the switch. I gather that the switch is mounted on the gearbox, but i don't know where it is, or where to look when looking under the bonnet. Funds are tight, so would like to be able to fix it myself if possible, so if anyone knows of a step by step guide, pictures, or can offer advice that a beginner can follow on how to find and change the reversing light switch, then it would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks very much

• 2 weeks later...

It is underneath your air filter box, once you remove it you will see the reverse light switch and it is likely that the wire has snapped.

Thanks for that! It saved me taking out the battery and battery tray etc  (i had found a few references to it being somewhere under the battery). 

It was a bit fiddly getting the air filter box out, but once i had it was exactly as you said – the wire had snapped. 

This is probably a stupid question, but under the airfilter box there was a plastic hose coming straight down from the bottom of the box, and the end of it looked capped or plugged (rather than a hollow pipe). Does it connect to anything? And what is it?

I couldn't see anywhere near it that it could attach to, so I am hoping it doesn't attach to anything, but just hangs down. But I thought i had better check  because it was a bit difficult to get the box out (because it was mounted on rubber pegs), so i could have disconnected the mystery pipe by accident when i was pulling out the box.

This is probably a stupid question, but under the airfilter box there was a plastic hose coming straight down from the bottom of the box, and the end of it looked capped or plugged (rather than a hollow pipe). Does it connect to anything? And what is it?

no the pipe is not connected to anything as it is just a drain pipe in case your air filter gets wet

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...