Alarm Not Working?

alw70

Hi,

Working through the list of faults I had with my car - I had no comms with the interior monitoring sensor and the alarm siren. I assumed that this was because they had died, so needed replacing. The behaviour of the driver's door LED was fast flashing for a few seconds, followed by a longer period of the LED solid on, finally followed by slow flashing.

I replaced the siren today and found that the no comms dtc for the alarm siren still wouldn't clear. I therefore did what I should have done in the first place and checked the alarm system fuse (no. 35) and found that it had been put in slot 34. I put it back into the correct slot and cleared the fault codes, they didn't return.

However, the alarm still doesn't seem to be working. When I lock the car, the driver's door LED does fast flashing for a few seconds, is then off for about 30 seconds and then starts slowly flashing (whereas it's meant to go straight to slow flashing when it stops fast flashing). If I lock myself in the car and move about, it doesn't set the alarm off, so something's not right. Has anyone seen this problem before / got any ideas?

Thanks,

Alexander 

Aha - I've found out what's going on via some experimentation. It turns out that when locking, pressing the button twice deactivates the alarm. I shall have to learn in future to lock the car with only one button press! 

Edited by alw70

I found a used replacement on eBay. Just be careful not to get one that is too old as the battery degrades.

It is in a box under the right front wing. Unscrew the arch liner at the back to get at the metal box which the alarm siren is in. Undo two nuts and bend the box open (it's riveted to the wing at one corner). Unplug the old siren and then plug the new one in. screw everything back together and you're done!