Blackline - wheel bearings going?

Hi all

Just a quick one.  The last week or so I've noticed a low frequency humming/whirring noise (not sure how else to describe it...) when doing between 30 and 40mph. It seems to go in time with the rotation of the wheels, i.e. the noise quickens as the car goes quicker.

Any ideas what it could be?  Wheel bearings? Or something wrong with the brakes?  I've had a look underneath and can't see anything stuck which might cause the noise.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

If the noise is coming from the rear wheels it could be sawtoothing on the tyres. Swap the front to rear and see if the noise goes away.

• Like 3

If the noise is coming from the rear wheels it could be sawtoothing on the tyres. Swap the front to rear and see if the noise goes away.

^ more likely than the bearings. Mine did it even after alignment. The car just doesn't like some tyres

Many people have had this, it usually turns out to be the rear tyres.  They wear to a sawtooth pattern and this causes the noise.  Swopping them front to rear confirms the diagnosis.  There are a set of revised suspension settings which should reduce the possibility of re-occurance, or at least delay it.

Not all places offering the service are the same, even with the same equipment.  The guy with the spanners needs experience and expertise and something like a Hunter jig. 

As mentioned, some tyres are more prone.