1.4i 16v petrol Fault Codes

Fuzz

Hi all, hopefully i'm in the right section for some assistance.

The problem car in question is a 1.4 16v petrol VW Lupo on a 52 plate. I believe this is the same engine as the fabias of that era as well as many other smaller cars.

It suffers what I understand to be a very common problem with that engine: Check engine and EPC warning lights illuminating.

It is also suffering lumpy idle, and loss of power to the extent that the engine sometimes just smoothly 'dies' when you try to pull away.

Research has pointed to the EGR valve being the main culprit for the problem, so off it came, plenty of carb cleaner and a bit of a clean up.

This seemed to make the car drive better but the lights were still there.

I have purchased a new EGR valve ready to fit.... thats where things got a bit more complicated.

Before removing the old EGR valve the following fault codes were logged:

16407 ??

16786 EGR valve excessive flow.

17550 load calculation cross check: lower limit exceeded

These were all cleared and the new EGR valve fitted. Ignition on and checked codes... YAY! None of those three had come back. So turned the to start the car - it fired, started then instantly died and there was no response at all from pressing the accelerator.

Checked the codes again. This time we got some new ones.

18047 Accelerator Position sensor 1/2 (G79/G185) Implausible signal

18042 Accelerator Position sensor 2 (G185): Signal too high

Cleared these with no change in outcome so I refitted old EGR valve, started up and back to square one.

Is anyone able to assist with a possible solution at all please?

All help appreciated!

Rob

One thing I found was that removing the throttle body, cleaning it and the manifold underneath it helped impove the running, you may need to readapt the throttle body afterwards.

I think there is a software update for the 16407 code.

Is the throttle body quite an easy thing to get off and clean? I did the same to the egr valve and it helped a bit but whilst a reasonably practical person I'm not a mechanic by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't have the car now, but as far is I remember there are a couple of studs holding it to the manifold and an electrical connection.

I seem to remember the EGR pipe is connected under the throttle body to an adaptor plate which can be removed for cleaning also.