How to Remove Steering Cowling - Mk2 Octavia vRS 2006

Hi everyone,

I am looking to fit a Newsouth Gauge Pod to my Octavia vRS; it is the pod which fits on the steering cowling in front of the instrument cluster. I have fitted the pod on to the mk2 steering cowling and it does fit; just not 100% right. I have therefore purchased a mk5 Golf steering cowling assembly and trial fitted the gauge pod. On the mk5 version of the cowling the pod holder 'snaps' on with a satisfying click which it doesn't do on the mk2 Octavia version; further leading me to believe they are a slightly (not by much) different shape.

My plan is to therefore fit the mk5 Golf cowling (if it indeed fits). Can I do this without removing the steering wheel? Any help on where the screws are and how to remove the cowling would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Stu

Need to remove steering wheel unfortunately.

There are two torq screws behind the wheel for the lower cowl.  Another torq screw is in the lower cowling (underneath) which holds the upper one on.  Also need to take off the adjustment lever handle (two more torq screws)

Thanks for the response.

I've had another thought! Can I simply remove the top cowling without taking off the steering wheel? Will I need to disconnect the battery (airbag) if removing the top cowling only?

Thanks for the advice.

Stu