Odd diesel engine sound, like Ivor the Engine

Afternoon all,

I have just bought a 61 plate Octavia Scout 2.0 diesel CR with around 50,000 miles.

The engine when idling sounds a bit like Ivor the Engine, the children's television programme. I can only describe it as a sort of, please bear with me on this..... pished.... pished.... pished.... pished sound. About 1 "pished" every second.

It appeared to come from near the bulkhead of the engine bay, about 6-8 inches in from the left hand side of the bonnet in front of the driver.

I haven't been able to hear it when driving.

Cheers

H

It appears all o.k. If you boot it, the car shifts reasonably well.

The only other thing I've noticed is that pulling away slowly in 1st and then changing to 2nd, sometimes it feels like there's a bit extra power going down on the front n/s tyre. I'm not sure if that's just the 4WD/AWD system shifting power.

Regarding the pulling to one side, check the tyre pressures, check for matching tyres on each axle and any untoward wear which would suggest incorrect geometry.

As for Ivor the engine, toot, toot is what I remember...

Being a Scot, pished is quite a common occurrence.

It has got some uneven tyre wear, however, it seems minor and it's soon going to get a new set all round with tracking.

Haha, yes, I know all too well about the Scottish pished  :D

Hmm, well I was wondering myself if that could be it, or at least related to the belt. According to Skoda, it will be due a belt next year, but mileage wise against age... it isn't going to be long.

I know it hasn't had the washer bottle changed on it, apparently they're changed when the belt is done but it's booked in at a Skoda dealership for a service in 3-4 weeks. I have advised them of the issue already so they can keep an eye out.

What are Skoda main dealers like? I didn't know whether to go there or try a reputable independent? I'm new to the area so unsure of who's good and bad which is why I opted for the dealer.

I'd never thought of that, mind you, I didn't think I'd be having problems so soon after buying.

I think because I'm new to Briskoda I cannot upload a video / sound bite at the moment, it would be easier for others to perhaps identify.

I will have another look this afternoon and try to narrow it down if I can.

Hmm, well I was wondering myself if that could be it, or at least related to the belt. According to Skoda, it will be due a belt next year, but mileage wise against age... it isn't going to be long.

I know it hasn't had the washer bottle changed on it, apparently they're changed when the belt is done but it's booked in at a Skoda dealership for a service in 3-4 weeks. I have advised them of the issue already so they can keep an eye out.

What are Skoda main dealers like? I didn't know whether to go there or try a reputable independent? I'm new to the area so unsure of who's good and bad which is why I opted for the dealer.

I'm not sure where the need to change the washer bottle has come from. My Scout has had a cambelt and the washer bottle is original.

See here for main dealer cambelt prices. More often than not a trusted independent will be cheaper, just make sure they fit the complete kit (rollers and tensioners) not just the belt.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/maintenance/default

Oh and ensure the Haldex (4x4 system) oil has been changed. This is normally always missed.